blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
Memory Lane
braddw25
I was feeling a bit nostalgic this evening so I started digging through the archives of my old computer Hard Drive and look what I found. William, can you ID this vessel?

Brings back lots of good memories of me learning how to 3d model and mod Starshatter. Oh and that endless string of questions that you so patiently answered from which you created modding tutorials.

Just wondering, do you ever get the itch to go back and rev up the old Starshatter for a spin? I still have it installed on both of my machines and I do take her for a spin every now and again. I am even considering starting a new mod now that my modding skills have come so far thanks in no small part to you and your alter ego who was not always so patient but equally helpful. Those were some fun and interesting times for sure.
braddw25 attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Off the top of my head, I can't name the craft. I can remember working on it though. Wasn't it one out of a space boardgame conversion?

I still have a couple copies of Starshtter on my shelves and remember all the time spent and fun had modding it. I'd have to relearn everything Starshatter. Although, I think it is my natural bent to create through modding. I simply enjoy the challenge of getting things to work in a different or better way.

Oh, I also remember Thadeaus Tiberious Tween. That old space pirate. I here he's still lurking around in distant space lanes. !biggrin!

braddw25
The name of the craft is the Hastati.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
I just started downloading many of the Starshatter tutorials and mods to re-familiar myself with the game. I sure put out a lot of mods for Starshatter. Smile
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
You certainly did, and they were all top notch. I'm going back through all of the old stuff I had saved. I am getting a good chuckle out of some of my early creations in this particular mod which as called Renegade Legions after a boardgame from the 80s as you previously mentioned. I had very little idea of how to create a viable 3d model at that time and even less of an idea of how to texture one. For textures, I simply cropped out sections of the drawings in the digital game manual I was given and applied them as textures on my ships. Little wonder they ended up looking like they were made of paper. LOL Here is the first ship I ever created. It's a Fulgur class destroyer and absolutely appears to be constructed of paper. LOL
braddw25 attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

wdboyd
I remember that ship effort of yours. I don't think I made any negative comments about it. Thadeaus wanted to but I kept him away from the solar communications array.

Downloading all those files brought back memories and has piqued my interest in the game again. I look forward to playing some of my creations.

braddw25
You never made any negative comments, but instead dropped many helpful hints to improve upon that initial design. I know at one point I went back and made a much nicer looking version of this ship, but I cannot seem to find the hard drive it was on. I honestly don't even remember which computer it was made with. It very well could have been on that SSD that I wiped clean and mailed to you.

As far as Starshatter goes, I don't think I ever completely lost interest in it. There are two old games that I play on and off and can't seem to get them out of my system. Starshatter is one of them and Rome Total War is the other.

wdboyd
I just loaded up the Downloadable 5.05 complete version of the game. It loaded perfectly. Ah... an old friend.
It seems to run much faster on my current computer.

I must admit that some of the games models look rather 'plain' but for its time it was ok.

There is so much I don't even remember. I will have to relearn even the basic craft commands. I 'll have to seek out the manual etc.
I used to feel right at home modding the game. Seems I'll have to start over pretty much. Oh well.

UPDATE: Oh the joy, the rapture. I was able to dig up my old hardcopy of the game manual! applaud

braddw25
You hit the nail right on the head when you referred to this game as an old friend. I know that compared to newer games it does look somewhat dated, but not nearly as dated as many of its contemporaries look. And the inescapable point also in its favor is that to my knowledge there still has not been another sim created that can do what Starshatter can do. Tactical first person capital ship combat. I know of no other platform available that has that capability at least to the degree that our old friend does!!!

braddw25
I also should mention that when the old sight went down, I was able to salvage most if not all of the files from your ftp site. I was given permission to post them for safe keeping at a site called spacesimcentral. I first of all had to remember the name of the site and then my login credentials, but sure enough MANY of the creations from the old site are still there. Many of which I never took the time to bring over to this site. I am now in the process of doing that. I started with the extensive compilation of custom missions that were stored over there. I am getting them uploaded here as we speak!!!

wdboyd
twothumbsup
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
I just got a whole bunch of stuff placed into the downloads section here on our site. There are still some larger mods that I want to get transferred over here, but I need to go for my evening walk/jog. Will get the uploads completed first thing in the morning.

In addition, I am trying to come up with an idea for a mod for me or us if you are interested to create. Not sure exactly what, but I think it would be fun to reopen the W&W shipyards even if you and I are the only ones who even give a crap about a new mod. applaud

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll