blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
Racing Season
wdboyd
No, still lack consistent stability with the pedals.

I will be ordering a racing stand today. That should correct the movement problem. Then I will be able to get things set up and working the way it should.

wdboyd
Bradd,

I ran a test AI race last night. My team managed to finish 1st, 3rd and 5th. Outstanding team result! woot

It's neat when you get all of your team performing well in a race. I always like to see all three finish in the top 10. If they all finish in the points... all the better, but that is a bit much to expect I think. Still, I've had it happen a few times.

William Boyd 1st

Jean-Pierre Beltoise 3rd

Chris Amon 5th

Finish Image below. Chris Amon had to work his way up from 11th at the start. Actually, if the race would have been one lap longer Amon would have finished 4th. He passed the 4th place car just after the finish line. Fun race to watch.

---------------------
wdboyd attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

braddw25
Very cool. I was able to run some practice races today as well. I assigned my setups to my team cars as you instructed. It clearly is working because I had several results similar to yours. In one race at Watkins Glen it was a 1-2-3 sweep for team Penke with my AI driver getting first followed by Mark Donahue and David Hobbs. Speaking of those two, they might be good candidates to make talent files for. Donahue in particular was one of the greatest drivers of that time. Right up there with the likes of Andretti when it came to being able to drive MANY different kinds of racecars well.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Glad to see you were getting better team results.

Talent files? Sure. Some may already have talent files. Chris Amon of my team does. Create Talent files for them and post them for me to download to my Talent folder.

wdboyd
Might receive my racing stand by this Friday. !biggrin!

braddw25
Good news and good luck with it. I hope it solves the moving pedals problem for you.twothumbsup
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Racing stand has shipped!

Might get it today. !smile!

braddw25
!bb!

Awesome!!!!

wdboyd
Racing stand arrived. Put together.

It came with perfect screws to attach the pedals to the base. If I end up upgrading the pedals, they should be attachable to this base too.

The good news... my pedals do NOT move anymore. !biggrin!

Now I need to get used to the setup and get the wheel and pedals tweaked the way I want them perform.

wdboyd
OMG! I am terrible. Frown

Tried some practice at Monza with my AI setup. It was embarrassing. I was all over the track. My wheel is all configured wrong. There are so many adjustments to be made. I'm not even sure what all of them do or mean.

It was an accomplishment for me to finish three lap in a row without crashing. I was unfit to be on the track with anyone else.

Heck, I was a danger to myself. blol

I finally got the wheel to steer half way realistically. I gave up on using my AI setup and started adjusting it for my own use.

The best I was able to do at Monza was a 1:29.540. asad

In my defense, I haven't driven in a l o n g time and I am not using any driving aids. I have to figure out the settings to use for my driving rig.

There is a slight and dim silver lining to all of this... after over an hour, I did see some improvement. bluthumb

Oh... and the pedals were solidly in place.

I did take note of something though. One has to concentrate on every lap. I'll need to work on that. And that was just me alone on the track. I can't imaginge how difficult things would be with a field of twenty other cars.

braddw25
Yes, I agree with you. Those old F1 cars were a handful. It only increases my already high admiration for the men who drove them.

If you are having trouble, my suggestion would be to take a step back and begin with the open wheel trainers and then work your way up. Those trainers are far more forgiving and can help you get your reflexes and seat of the pants feel back to where it needs to be. There is no question that even in sim racing it's hard to be away from it for a while and then come back. It will probably take some time.

In all honesty, I used to do this for real and I dare say I was pretty good at it, but even at the tender age of 49 I am noticing that my reflexes are SIGNIFICANTLY slower than they were before. That is just a fact of life that cannot be overcome. As a result it may get to the point where we have to use some driving aids and maybe tame down the AI strength a bit.

Glad to hear that your pedals are not moving all over the place on you anymore at least.

wdboyd
I have no doubt that these old F1 cars are a challenge to drive. But I think some of the problems I am experiencing is the settings needed for the pedal and wheel. Even with my limited tinkering, I have noticed some improvement in control.

I've also noticed that I'm not reaching the same top speed at the end of the long straights compared to the AI. My AI car gets up to 184-185. I haven't gotten past 181-182 with the same wing settings and using all of the throttle. It's like there is a limiter.
why would this be? Have you observed such a speed limitation when compared to AI lap times or speeds.

My best player AI time was 1:26.994 with the AI set a 100% at Monza. Nearly 3 seconds faster than my current manual best!

Update... I now have a best time of 1:29.145.

Oh well, therein lies the challenge. Smile

braddw25
How is the driving going? Sorry I have not been on much the past week. My sister and her family were in from Nebraska so we spent time visiting with them.

My guess is that the lack of speed on at the end of the straight might be due to the AI getting off the previous corner better than you are. Watch their line closely and see what they are doing to get through the corner. I wrestled with that problem alot before I finally figured out what was going on. I actually thought at one point that the game gave some artificial speed boost to the AI. Try taking an earlier apex to the corner before the straight and see if you can get back on the throttle sooner. After tinkering with that I was able to match or sometimes even exceed the AI speed on the long straights.

Also, I would check the AI speed not only at the end of the straight, but also see how fast they are getting through the corner. If they are carrying more speed than you through the corner that will translate to higher speed at the end of the straight. It's tough to figure out where the limit of adhesion is which is where you want to be for optimal speed. To fast and you lose control, to slow and the AI schools you on the straights.

wdboyd
I don't think it is exit speed onto the LONG straights. The top speed is reached prior to the end of the long straight. It's like there is an artificial speed limit. Sometime in the past I remember finding that my throttle control was not calibrated correctly and it wasn't going through its full range of movement. I'll have to check that. It remains a frustration and a mystery to me.

Actually, I've been distracted by playing the new Spellforce III game. I had been anticipating it for months and have been playing it into the early morning hours. It initially had a lot of bugs but the creators have been quick to give patches that fixed most things.

My wheel is sitting next to me waiting for some work. I'm determined to get a couple seconds off of my Monza lap time. Including the loss of 2-3 mph on the straights, I think I am losing some time in the tracks last long corner before the finish straight. I have some tinkering to do with the wheels game settings to get it to feel the way I want. I'll keep you posted of any improvement, if any.

I'll try running the trainers at Monza and see if the top speed differential exists with them too. Wink

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll