icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
BraddW25's new Chariot
braddw25
Here she is...
braddw25 attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Ok... off to the car dealer. bluthumb

braddw25
Have you run many test races at Indy yet? I just ran a 15 lap race and my car won. However, 2/3 of the field blew their engines. Clearly we have some setup work to do in order to get these machines to complete a race of reasonable length. I'm thinking these F1 cars while very similar to the INdy cars of the period are set up for road course racing where the engine goes through the entire range of RMP levels. On a track like Indy, you are basically at or near the redline for the entire race. We might have to dial back the rev limit if possible and we will have to figure out a way to do this for the AI as well if we want their engines to live much beyond 10-15 laps.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Not many at Indy. A few. Had one blown engine in another teams car. I'll do some more Indy runs.

Been doing some test at one of the ISI speedways. 20 lap races. No blown engines noticed yet in 13 car fields.

Losing the draft can be devastating though. Need a fast car to draw back up. If you get too far back you will never catch back up. I have been experimenting with the AI aggression setting. Running at 30%. Set it high enough and the AI will attempt to take the lead and usually lose the draft and end up splitting the field up. Preferable.

I noticed my car was red lining... so I increased my top gear to compensate.

From my test... thusfar.. it doesn't really matter much where one qualifies, the draft is everything. 20 lap races.

I've been unable to match the AI cars lap times in qualification... especially at Indy.

wdboyd
Just ran a 20 lap race at Indy. 13 car field. Started 4th or 5th.

No blown engines. Got passed while in the lead on the last lap. Made a run back on the leader at the finish and came up 6 1,000th of a second short.

Darn. So close. :Shrug

Not really happy with my setup. Doesn't seem to hold the line down low.

wdboyd
braddw25 wrote:

Have you run many test races at Indy yet? I just ran a 15 lap race and my car won. However, 2/3 of the field blew their engines. Clearly we have some setup work to do in order to get these machines to complete a race of reasonable length. I'm thinking these F1 cars while very similar to the INdy cars of the period are set up for road course racing where the engine goes through the entire range of RMP levels. On a track like Indy, you are basically at or near the redline for the entire race. We might have to dial back the rev limit if possible and we will have to figure out a way to do this for the AI as well if we want their engines to live much beyond 10-15 laps.

The blown engine situation, may be, because the track was created for faster cars and the 'default' setup isn't suited for our earlier racers.

I haven't noticed that many blown engines... but I have been testing AI versus AI. Are you actually driving against the AI. If so... that may be the difference.

wdboyd
I've been frustrated watching F171 races with everybody running nose to tail for about the whole race. Boring.

I also noticed that when I ran the F167 mod cars at the same track that they behaved differently. What was the difference? The F167 mod has talent files for its' drivers.

I decided to create Talent files for some of the F171 drivers. I think it split up the racing (if the talent file drivers are included in the opponents list) a bit which is good.

Test it yourself.

I tested the F171 at the Jacksonville Superspeedway 500. I ran the AI at 101% with their aggression at 30% with a field of 22.

F171 folder attached. Just place it in your talent folder. I think you will notice a difference.

-------------------
wdboyd attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

wdboyd
I think there IS something to the Talent files.

In my recent test races many of the drivers with the talent files added are appearing in the to 5 or 10 more often.

In my latest race a Silverstone... the number 1, 2, 3, 8 and 10 place drivers all had a new talent file. As a matter of fact Bradd Williamson just edged out Willliam Boyd for the win. I hate losing to that guy.

The third place driver was Emmerson Fittipaldi a well known driver with one of my new talent files. He had led the race several times. Actually the top five finishers put up a very good race to watch. A lot of switching places.

Try the talent files I posted above earlier. See if you can see the difference. Wink

braddw25
Just downloaded and ran a test race at Indy. For sure seems to make a difference. The drivers with Talent files all ran near the front and separated from the pack. That Williamson guy won my test race as well. He must be something else. LOL

wdboyd
The skuttlebutt around pitlane is that he is aloof and disdainful of other drivers. asmile

braddw25
That's what I heard too. LOL

braddw25
I'm not sure what is going on. Running test races at Indy and I can't get the engines to live beyond 11 laps. On lap 11 over half the field all at once grenades their engines. I am at a loss as to what might be causing this.

wdboyd
Really? I have not experienced that and I've been running 16-20 lap races. I think I had one engine blown in one of my test races at Indy. Are you referring to F171 mod? I will run some more tests.

What are your races settings? ie AI strength... check your Mech Failure: choices are, Off, Normal and Time Scale. I have mine set to normal.

wdboyd
Just ran a 16 lap AI race with the F171 mod cars at the Lemans track, with a field of 20.

Set Mech Failure at Normal.

2 blown engines
1 gearbox
1 suspension
1 brakes

braddw25
Ok thanks. Didn't think of looking at the settings. Will go do that now.

braddw25
That was the problem. Mech Failures was set to time scaled. Just ran a 20 lap race at indy and the only engine failure was the turbine car. The only problem is that B Williamson only finished 2nd. There must still be something wrong with the game engine.Grin

wdboyd
Rumor has it... 'someone' put some sugar in his gas tank. Just a rumor. Shrug

braddw25
Most likely it was the guy in the 22 Matra. Rumor has it that he is a very sore loser.impatient

braddw25
I also wanted to ask if you thought it might be a good idea to choose 20 or so cars we want to race against each race instead of having the random luck of the draw as to whom we race against. If you are interested we can come up with a list of cars we want to be in the field for our races and then add a new class to their veh files and pick that class to race against each time. Let me know if you want me to work on that.

wdboyd
Yes, the random situation is not preferable. A set driver list would be best.

Please include some of the 'talent' file drivers in the opponent list to break up the pack and challenge us. !biggrin!

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-s.png Member Poll