blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
WDBoyd's new Chariot
braddw25
Here She is. Available in the download section.
braddw25 attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Ah... love it and that new car smell. Thanks, woot

braddw25
You're welcome!
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Amazingly gratifying. Grin

I ran a 12 lap AI race at the Kyalami South African track with the AI set at 100% and the AI aggression turned up to 30%. Field of 21, I think.

My entire team finished 1, 2, 3! woot

As usual my own AI car did not qualify all that well. Ninth I think, but He worked his way through the field to finish third to complete the sweep. My own AI car doesn't seem to qualify up front but it does 'race' well.

It was Fun to watch.

---------------------
wdboyd attached the following file:

wdboyd
I have noticed a potential problem with running the F171 mod. All of the cars are 'basically' the same car. It is a League Edition mod after all. Different engine makers... but even they have basically the same hp etc. No driver Talent files... and I'm not sure they would make any difference.

As a result, they end up racing around the same speeds and the same lines, nose to tail. This is one reason I tried turning up the AI aggression setting in my latest race. It seem to help a bit. A real challenge on tracks with long straights with all the drafting going on. On more curvy tracks the situation is not so pronounced.

Just an observation. Still fun to race though.

-------------------

braddw25
Very Cool! I have ample free time coming up this weekend finally and I intend to use it for racing fun. I am actually starting to feel a little better too so that is a plus.

wdboyd
I'm glad you are starting to feel better. dogpet

wdboyd
Any F171 team car selection yet?

If so... post your car on the downloads section so my AI can compete against it. Smile

braddw25
I've been simming and drivimg for most of the day today. This mod has a nice variety of cars. So far I agree with you though. There isn't much difference between the different makes. Probably due to the fact that this mod is made for league play. I'm leaning toward selecting a Lotus, but haven't made my mind up yet.

wdboyd
!salute!

Although, I have noticed that during a race the famous named drivers cars seem to sometimes perform very well. I could be minor differences in engine makes. My Mantra runs a Ford Cosworth engine. Like I said... there may be slight differences between engines.

We'd have to delve into the engine files to see what they may be though. Probably not worth it.

braddw25
Are you sure the Matra uses a Cosworth? I thought they used their own engines. I could be mistaken though. I'm sure most of the teams do use the Cos though. It was the engine to have if you wanted to win for basically the entire decade of the 70s.

wdboyd
You are right.. after checking.. they use their own 'Matra' engine.

I know I saw cosworth engine somewhere.... but I have been looking at a LOT of car files.

addendum: I knew I read about the Cosworth engine in relation to the F171 mod. I'm not totally losing it. confused

--------------------
wdboyd attached the following file:

braddw25
Have you tried out the Lotus with the Turbine engine yet? Very interesting piece of machinery.

wdboyd
Negative. I just liked the look of the Matra and went with it.

Does the Turbine work differently in the simulation?

braddw25
Oh yes. The sound alone is worth the price of admission.

braddw25
Did you try out the turbine car yet? It just dawned on me that Lotus built that car to race mainly at Indianapolis. I'm thinking it might be cool to download a version of Indy for Rfactor and see how the Turbine car performs against the others there. I'm going right now to look for the track.

wdboyd
I remember loading that car a while back but didn't pay to much attention to it.

Which car is it exactly... I'll take another look.

The Indy track is a great idea. It would be fun to run. Also there is a Indy Road Course. Perhaps they are combined into one Rfactor track.

Addendum: Here's the first one I found at Rfactor Central.

https://www.rfact...dianapolis
Edited by wdboyd on 19-11-2017 18:25

braddw25
It's the Lotus #3 car. I think it is called the L56 or something like that. You can tell you when you have the right one when you have chosen the car that has the engine completely covered up by sheetmetal. It's an interesting car, but the turbine engine does seem to suffer from reliability problems. I found and downloaded the same Indy track as you did. The AI races there are VERY interesting with lots of lead changes.

wdboyd
I remember there were setup changes needed for running the oval.

Does one stiffen the outside spring rate? I simply don't remember what needs to be adjusted to get the best out of a car on an oval race track.

I've been running my AI races for the F171 mod at 40%. That improved breaking up the nose to tail racing. The problem with that is that they are aggressive towards me too. Still, it is better.

braddw25
Believe it or not, I have NEVER done any oval racing. It just didn't interest me as much as running road courses. I am however now very interested in giving it a try. From a Physics standpoint it would make sense to me to keep the spring rates higher on the outside because that is where the heavier loads will be applied while cornering and on an oval you only ever turn one direction. My only concern would be how much will that compromise handling on the straits because Indy does have some pretty long straits. It will be interesting to experiment with this to see how to optimize a car for oval racing.

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll