sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
Talent?
wdboyd
Bradd,

I've been looking into the validity of any Talent files. They don't seem to make ANY difference in AI performance. I've checked the forums and the Talent aspect of Rfacator doesn't seem to work at all.

The reason I investigated them was due to the F171 mod. It is a server edition and doesn't include any driver talent files. So I was considering creating them.

I don't think it can be done with any effect. Do you have any insights? research

braddw25
I vaguely remember wrestling with this quite a few years back. All I remember is that I got very frustrated and tried many different things to get it to work correctly. I don't even recall if I ever got the talent files to work correctly or not.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
I just found this entry in the F167 mod rfm file. Same type of entry in the Can-Am mods rfm file.

It obviously points to the driver talent files for the mod.

ConfigOverrides

SoundDir=GAMEDATASOUNDSF167
DriversDir=GAMEDATATALENTF167
OptionsDir=UIDATAF1Classic

Still... don't really know that the driver files do anything in the game. I may do some experiments.

wdboyd
Despite no talent files for the F171 mod.. there are differing AI cars that perform better or worse from test race to test race. So there is some performance randomness from car to car.

That is aside from the AI percentage selected for the race.

So, I currently see no need for creating talent files.

wdboyd
Just had an interesting test race at Monza.

My AI driver and my AI team mate came in #1 and #2. woot

-------------------
wdboyd attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

braddw25
Yes, I'm sure the performance differences you are seeing are due to the Physics files for the cars in question. I think the Physics files are .hdv or something like that. They can be opened in wordpad and edited. One can change any of the PHysics factors there that affect car performance of the car.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

braddw25
wdboyd wrote:

Just had an interesting test race at Monza.

My AI driver and my AI team mate came in #1 and #2. woot

-------------------

Well done!! Evidently my AI driver was not participating in that race or I'm sure the results would have been different.Grin

wdboyd
You haven't selected a driver for the F171 mod have you? Shrug

There are no talent files for this mod. Car setup can make a difference.

Select a car and make your best race setup for it and allow me to have it. Then we'll see.

braddw25
No I haven't selected one yet. I just got it installed properly last night and then went to bed. I'm currently fighting a bad head cold and I am probably the world's biggest wimp when I don't feel good. Frown

braddw25
Did you figure out how to get AI cars to use setup files then?

wdboyd
Oh, sorry to hear about your cold. The kiddies as school sharing their germs?

I don't feel like doing anything when I am ill. Frown

Fortunately, that isn't very often. Smile

wdboyd
braddw25 wrote:

Did you figure out how to get AI cars to use setup files then?

Negative.

Oh, I can create and set talent files up... I just don't think they make any difference.

braddw25
I don't mean talent files. I mean setup files. Are you currently able get the AI cars to run a setup that you created is what I meant.

wdboyd
I 'assign' my team mate my setup... but it seems to still run the default setup for the track.

My AI car runs my setup though.

braddw25
Yes, that is what I thought. For some reason the assigning of setups is really fussy. I think it has to do with the way you name your setup file. It has to match something in the track's AIW file if I recall correctly. I just can't remember anymore. I know I messed around with that before and got mixed results, but I do think that I was at one point able to get it working correctly with at least one of the mods I had installed.

wdboyd
Yes, I was wanting to have a Qual setup and a Race setup. I think this was once doable.

wdboyd
I think I discovered something. Remember me complaining about my team members car not hitting its expected top speed? Well, that problem seems to have been overcome.

If you OWN a car and 'assign' it your setup, it will run on par with your own player AI car. I assume the simulation considers any such car as another 'player' car.

I ran a F171 race this morning and my teammate and I finished 1st. and 2nd. My AI car went on to pull away a few seconds by the finish but we finished one, two. At least my team member is competitive now.

Apparently, the key is 'owning' the car or cars in question. Interesting, eh? !biggrin!

-------------------
wdboyd attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

braddw25
Yes, that is quite interesting. Good find.

wdboyd
I am not sure the player 'owned' car performance improvement will transfer into a multiplayer race though.

braddw25
I'm not sure either. I have actually done VERY little racing against other humans. The vast majority of my time has been spent racing against the AI and trying to better my own lap times.

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll