sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
GTR2
braddw25
William,

I just wanted to let you know that not having GTR2 appears to not be such a great loss. It has enormous potential and there are far more mods available for it than there are for Rfactor. Unfortunately it seems as though installing mods causes all sorts of crazy and annoying problems The game works flawlessly with the included cars and tracks, but in my experience any time one tries to add any mods look out. It a true shame because there are some fantastic looking mods that can be downloaded. But not much good when all they do is cause the game to crash. I have been fighting with the game for the last two weeks in addition to our work with Rfactor and have come to the conclusion that if one wants to race mods, Rfactor is the clear and unquestioned sim to use. I will henceforth be focusing my efforts there and will not waste further time fighting with GTR2.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
To bad about GTR2. Such problems can be a real frustration.

I agree that Rfactor is the sim to use. I've noticed that my system seems to handle it (the original), with everything cranked up, without out any problem.

Rfactor 2 is another story. I can run it but my computer 'loudly' announces how hard it is working and I will have to tweak the graphics to get less strain on my system. But Rfactor 2 probably isn't all the optimized nor are the current mods. I think they are considered in Beta stage currently. Still, Rfactor 2 'does' look very nice.

But good ole Rfactor looks pretty good too. bigsmile

I'm still working on getting my pedals to stay put. My duct tape solution isn't working all that well. I look forward to getting a driving stand next month.

braddw25
I agree with your assessment of both Rfactor and Rfactor 2. I would be willing to bet that once they get it optimized, Rfactor 2 will be just as stable and reliable as the original and just as easy to mod. People at Nogrip are telling me it's probably my fault that GTR2 is crashing. That is entirely possible, but even so, the GTR2 platform is VERY fussy about mods and getting them to work, whereas RFactor is extremely forgiving and simple to mod. I prefer simplicity even though I do wish there were a couple features in GTR2 that were available in Rfactor. But nothing is perfect. Clearly for our purposes Rfactor is the superior platform.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

braddw25
Well it appears that I still have trouble giving up on something even when I decide it's not worth the trouble anymore. LOL I found the route of my problems with GTR2. I was using some cars that have VERY high res textures and did not realize that the stock game could not handle more than 2GB of files being loaded into memory. I was trying to load a full grid of cars for a race at Lemans which is a 9 mile long track and apparently takes up large amounts of memory. I was able to track down a patch which enables the game to utilize 4Gb of memory instead of just 2 and now things are running fine. I've been banging my head against a wall trying to figure this out for probably the last 2+ weeks.Banghead GTR2 is a really nice game, but I still say we made the right choice in using Rfactor as our primary platform.

wdboyd
Thadeaus asked me what that wall ever did to you? Wink

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif