blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
Rfactor 2
braddw25
I've been doing some reading on RFactor 2. I believe if we continue with virtual racing, it may eventually serve as a VERY good platform if we ever want an upgrade over the GTL/Rfactor generation of games. I have tried demos for some of the newer sims and in all honesty I don't really care for them. The only advantage in my opinion that they have over the last gen games is in eye candy. The driving feel is just not good. From what I have read about RFactor 2, it seems to deliver the best of both worlds. I am going to download the demo and take it for a spin.!biggrin!
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
https://www.studi...ober-2017/

Really. I've read some positive articles about rFactor 2 continiung development. I even considered getting a copy, Perhaps we shoud go with rfactor 2.

Rfactor 2 is the future of the series. Looks great.

Neat looking new mod below.
wdboyd attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

braddw25
I am fine with sticking with Rfactor for a while as we explore these mods we have just downloaded. They offer a lot of promise and I'm sure they will keep us occupied for the near future at least. Nothing wrong with looking to the future though. As more mods get released for Rfactor2 we will have a better selection of cars to peek our interest. Right now I don't think there is a whole lot to choose from as far as mods are concerned.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
I jumped the pit wall and bought and installed rFactor 2 from steam. !biggrin!

Just wanted to get a look at it and supposed I'd be getting it eventually anyway.

wdboyd
It comes with some cars and tracks. You are right though. It is limited but there is more to come. We can work with rfactor 1 for the time being,

Rfactor 2 1960 racer below.

------------------

braddw25
Well I guess I'm going to have to take the plunge then too! You are right, we will both probably own it eventually anyway so not time like the present.coolphotos

braddw25
Just purchased and am in the process of downloading right now!!!!bb!

wdboyd
applaud

braddw25
I have to give another shout out to my little Alienware Alpha gaming rig. It continues to amaze me as it handles graphics heavy programs like Rfactor 2 which is absolutely GORGEOUS by the way. I have the graphics setting turned up fairly high and I'm getting frame rates that are completely acceptable to my eyes. I haven't actually done any benchmark measurements yet, but I would bet from the brief time that I played that the frame rate never dropped below 30 because I can usually noticed such lagging fairly quickly.

The powerhouse in the basement continues to laugh at everything I throw at it. I had Rfactor 2 and Star Citizen running on seperate monitors with all graphics set to full on both games and both running in full HD resolution and it didn't even break a sweat. LOL

wdboyd
That's great news. woot

I wish I could say the same. Unfortunately, I was running a test race in Rfactor 2 last night. Just watching. The game does look beautiful.... well, the black screen of death struck once more. I had to power down everything to reboot.

I don't know why. It was running fine up until then. I will check my 'power' settings. It's only happen once thusfar. I will run another test today and if it happens again, I'll know I have a problem running Rfactor 2.

I'll try turning down the graphic settings too. I had them set pretty high. Let's hope I get it sorted out.

I always have Rfactor though. It runs with no problems at its' highest setttings. Smile

braddw25
Yes and I might add that good old Rfactor with everything turned up full still looks pretty darn good in my opinion.

I hope you are able to resolve this issue. I remember this happened to you before when we were playing Star Citizen if I recall correctly. I don't remember what you had to do to fix it though.smconfused
Edited by braddw25 on 10-11-2017 10:03

wdboyd
Never was able to correct it with Star Citizen before I quit messing with it. I once had the problem with IL2, but I think an updated GPU driver and or changed computer power settings stopped if from happening in IL2.

It may have something to do with DX11 in the new Rfactor 2 build. I really don't know. Come to think of it, the Rfactor 2 installer did install DX11 data. Perhaps that is causing the problem. It shouldn't have, but one never knows.

I will tinker with the graphic settings in Rfactor 2 and hopefully I can get it to run smoothly without the black screen of death.

I did some track test with the Can-Am cars. The AI can't handle the 1967 Spa track.

braddw25
Don't we have two different copies of that track? I seem to recall that one of on one of them the AI always crashes, but on the other the AI is actually able to get around in one piece. I could be wrong, but I thought we had that discussion in another thread.idea

wdboyd
Yes, the crash one is the one included with the 1967 track pack.

I had to re-download the other version. It is the Spa Francorchamp 2005 1.0.0 version.

It is a very different layout from the 1967 version. Many more chicanes to slow things down and shorter. Nice looking track though and the Can-Am cars seem to drive on it just fine. We can use this one.

wdboyd
I just ran a concerned test race in Rfactor 2. I turned 'shadows' down to low and turned off some 'motion blur' effects.

I ran things and watched the action for over five minutes. No problems. But I did notice that my system was working harder to run this game.

I used a recently downloaded Rfactor 2 carset, the 'Radicals'. The set comes with a LOT of cars and each one has a selection for right or left side driving position. Pretty neat.

I also downloaded the Mid America track and used it for this test. It looks great and the Radicals seem ideally suited to its layout.

Tracks take a LOT longer to load in Rfactor 2.

---------------------------

braddw25
Yes, I am noticing the same thing. VERY long load times especially on my Alpha. The SSD in my big rig loads considerably faster, but still takes much longer than the older gen sims.

I will have to spend some time this weekend adding some content to my Rfactor 2 install. I do have high hopes for this sim. It will have a tough act to follow though as the original Rfactor is pretty darn good.

wdboyd
I agree.. the original rFactor is still very good and looks good too.

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll