sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
Car Selection
wdboyd
Bradd,

I've been baffled the last couple of days, (not that being baffled is unusual for me). !biggrin!

I have been running Can-Am test races at 67 Silverstone. (I like this track)

My team mate #0 Porsche AI is performing miserably. Last or near the bottom of the 13 car field, in every race. Angry

It is assigned and running the same car setup that my AI car is running. I can tell this by watching its gear shifts. That being the case and that it is the exact same model as my #2, why is it consistently running nearly two seconds slower than my AI car?

I'm running the Porsche 1971 stock engines in both.

The #0s final speed on the long straights is about 15-18 mph slower than mine and the other AI cars. I can see no reason why.

Oh, and it doesn't matter if I crank up the AI percentage. I've run it at 105% and the #0 top speed remains lagging. confused

It seems to not be excellerating quickly enough. Changing the drivers Talent file improved nothing.

Interestingly, your McLaren reaches the proper top speed just fine. That Bradd Williamson has become a pain. Wink

Still, why can't I get the AI #0 Porsche to drive any faster with the same setup I run?

I only desire for it to be competitive. At least run in the middle of the pack. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Signed,

Confused #0 Engineer and pit crew.

-----------------------------

braddw25
There are several things to look for. First check the Silverstone Track folder and make sure there are no setup files in there that the game might be loading. I would guess that there probably aren't, but that has happened to me a few times. If there is a setup file in a given track folder for a given car then it will over ride any other setup for that car at that track.

Are you completely sure that the game is in fact using your setup file? I have had trouble in the past when I thought I had assigned a good setup to an AI car only to find out that the car is instead using the setup information contained in the car's Physics file. This would be the .HDV file for that car. If you look down through that file it has setup information contained as far as gearing, and wing angles and such. In the past I have had to make changes to that file in order to get the right setup. The only disadvantage to that is it changes the AI car setup for ALL tracks.

I remember fighting with this problem years ago, and I wish my memory was better as to what I did to solve it. I will do some experimenting to see if I can figure anything else out that might help.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

braddw25
If you get a chance, have a look at this. I found it, but I don't have time to read it right now. These darn kids are too needy. LOL Just kidding of course. This forum post might contain info that will help us with the setup problem.

http://www.nogrip...?p=1906578
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Thanks, I'll check things out.

The cars performance has lacked in ALL tracks tested.

wdboyd
My friendly UPS driver just delivered something, guess what. Come on, guess.

I've just unboxed it. The wheel looks pretty solid.. the pedals on the other hand, not so much. I will probably need to upgrade them to a better model.

I will be spending some time getting it setup.. along with trying to get the game AI to perform better for my #0 Porsche teammate.

Addendum: Good grief... I will need a magnifying glass to read the manual. Tiny print. Frown
Edited by wdboyd on 07-11-2017 15:42

wdboyd
Decided I'd rather not mess with any car physics setting.

I brought a 917 from the 72 season in. It also had reduced top speed but was a full second faster than my AI best time. Apparently, it is set up to be faster in the corners.

Oh well, ole Milt will just have to be an also ran. bigsmile
Edited by braddw25 on 08-11-2017 08:03

braddw25
Sometimes the AI does behave somewhat strangely. It can be frustrating. Glad to hear you got your wheel. Good luck with getting it set up!!

wdboyd
YIKES!

I've got to tame this wild horse. Everything is WAY to sensitive with the wheel and pedal controls.

I don't like the pedals. Can't keep them from moving aground. The are small and light. I will definately have to get another set.

Got my work set out for me. !eek!

wdboyd
Totally futile effort with these crappy pedals. They keep moving. Frown

I have to find a way to stop their movement,

braddw25
I had that problem with mine too. I made a cockpit for lack of a better word to mount my wheel on and hold my pedals in place. I made it out of PVC pipes. It works pretty well for keeping the wheel and pedals in place. I also got a used gaming chair to use for a seat.

wdboyd
I got old trusty best tool out to rig up a partial solution.

Duct Tape! woot

Barely workable now. Wink

Now the wheel won't work when I go onto a track. Nada. Now where is that manual.

I suspect I will have to disconnect it and start all over. Frown

I gotta have a serious talk with my crew chief. !smile!

braddw25
Yes, that crew chief is clearly not on top of his game.!eek!

Also the age old axiom lives on. If it moves and it's not supposed to, use duct tape. If it is supposed to move but doesn't, use wd-40.

braddw25
wdboyd wrote:

Decided I'd rather not mess with any car physics setting.

I brought a 917 from the 72 season in. It also had reduced top speed but was a full second faster than my AI best time. Apparently, it is set up to be faster in the corners.

Oh well, ole Milt will just have to be an also ran. bigsmile

I've been reading up on the history of the Can Am series. It appears that it was often the case with the Porches that they were down on top speed, but very good in the corners. That is until the 917 30 came along and blew everything else including the mighty McClarens into the weeds. You should drive the 917 30 sometime in game. It's an amazing machine in all respects. I can't get it to work in rfactor, but I do have one running in GTL if you want to try it.

wdboyd
No thanks... I'm concentrating on getting my wheel working again in the game. !salute!

braddw25
It's still not working? That's a bummer.Angry

wdboyd
As of right now.. I can't use my steering wheel at all.Confused1
It checks out as working in Windows Calibration.

I seems to be working in the games Controller Assignments. But when I go a track... there is no input response.

I'm very annoyed and discouraged. I've posted the situation on the rFactor forums and directly to Thrustmaster Support. No responses yet.

braddw25
Sorry to hear that. That would be extremely annoying. Wish I could help out, but I have no idea what might cause something like that to happen. It was somewhat working at one point was it not?

The only suggestion I can offer is to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your wheel. Have you tried that yet? Or possibly checking to see if there are newer updated drivers for it. If you have windows 10 on your machine, it seems to update frequently and sometimes those updates cause things to not work as they should. The hardware companies will then respond with updated drivers to make it work again.

wdboyd
Yes, it was working fine initially.

I already traveled the uninstall routine and the update driver route. I have the latest drivers.

All I can currently do is wait and keep trying.

UPDATE: I, out of curiosity, booted up GT Legends. After setup.... the wheel functioned properly at a track. Obviously, it is not the wheel or its drivers. It has something to do in rFactor.

braddw25
wdboyd wrote:

Yes, it was working fine initially.

I already traveled the uninstall routine and the update driver route. I have the latest drivers.

All I can currently do is wait and keep trying.

UPDATE: I, out of curiosity, booted up GT Legends. After setup.... the wheel functioned properly at a track. Obviously, it is not the wheel or its drivers. It has something to do in rFactor.

That really sucks. I have never heard of that happening in Rfactor before. It happens rather frequently in GTR2, but not in Rfactor. That was the main reason why I chose Rfactor initially over GTR2 back in the day. Will do some reading when I get home to see if I can find anything to help out. I absolutely HATE IT when stuff like this happens. It is enough to drive you nuts.

wdboyd
Odd discovery. I went to other tracks besides Silverstone and the wheel functions!

What in the world would cause Silverstone not to work. Doesn't work at all tracks.

But, it still behaves badly at other tracks. Starts out with the motor revving in 1st gear, crashing all around.

At least it is working. confused

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif