blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
Road America
wdboyd
I did some preliminary Can-Am testing at my Road America track. It is the one designated a version 2.0.

There is a serious AI driving line problem with it. The AI cars drive off the track and into the grass exiting the next to the last turn prior to the long start/finish straight. This problem makes this version unusable for Can-Am at least. I haven't tested with any other car series.

As a result I downloaded the ElkhartLake version by Neel Jani. This track basically 'looks' better and the AI driving line is much better. No constant off track problems.

https://www.rfact...lkhartLike

A problem I did experience was my Lola flying into the air going up the final long straight to the finish line. The car actually becomes airborne and sometimes flips over.

Not a good situation. Shock

I have corrected the problem (a bit) by changing the Lolas' gearing and increasing the wing settings but the front end still rises up. Interesting but somewhat realistic situation.

This doesn't happen with all cars. Still, the Elkhartlake version for RoadAmerica should be used, unless there is another one somewhere.

Thoughts?

Lola T260 #17 Best lap: 1:58.855 (limited testing)

braddw25
I'm good with using the Elkhart version. I remember having the same problem with the RA version 2 track with many other types of cars so it isn't just a problem specific to Can Am. In all likelihood it's a problem with the AIW file with the RA 2.0 track. That is one area of the game I have never gotten into modding so I have no idea how to fix that.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Good, we'll go with the Elkheart version. I like the looks of it better anyway.

Just finished some testing at Elkheart with the Porsche.

#59 Porsche 917/10 - Best Time 1:58.321 bigsmile

Basically in the time ballpark with my Lola T260.
wdboyd attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

braddw25
On an unrelated note, I've been doing some research on the problem we had the other day with the missing steering wheel in the McClaren M6 I sent you. I remember now that when I first downloaded that mod (Called Aboslute Can-AM) years ago that the mod was then in Beta. At that time it was the only Can Am mod I could find so I downloaded it anyway. One of the several incomplete aspects of that mod was the cockpits. They were very generic and just sucked in general. I remember now that I modded my GTR2 version of the car so that it has a decent cockpit and a Steering wheel. I must have neglected to do that with the GTL version I sent you. Basically any car that works in GTR2 will work in GTL so I assumed that when I saw a steering wheel on my car in GTR2 that the one in GTL was the same. Turns out it's not. I just loaded up GTL and low and behold. Crappy cockpit and no steering wheel. I will be working on fixing that and converting that car for Rfactor as the M6 has long been my favorite Can-Am car. Will keep you up to date on the progress. If I can get good at porting from GTR2 to Rfactor, it will open up MANY more cars for us to use as the Absolute Can-AM mod has far more cars than the one we use for RFactor. Sadly, they are not of the same quality and unless I can get them to that level I don't really want to bother converting them.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Great. More quality car models are always needed.

Oh.. after further testing at Elkhart.. here are some of my findings.

With my Lola setup... the 1973 Lola ran a best time of 1:58.885
With my Lola setup... the 1972 Lola ran a best time of 1:58.313

Basically equal.

But when I ran my Lola setup... the 1971 Lola ran a best time of 2:05.626! A big difference! The 71 Lola looked to be running a LOT looser so I tightened it up a bit to get the best time. Still needs some work. It was also flipping on the final stretch too. Now the nose just comes up a couple feet. Still looks scary.

That makes it in the time ballpark with my 1971 Farrari test. It ran a best 2:06.302. At the time I felt sorry for it. But it actually is Competitive after all.

Our decision to run the 1971 series and earlier looks to be the right one. The 72 and 73 cars make the older cars look bad. bigsmile

braddw25
Yes I'm sure those later cars do put a hurting on the earlier ones. Keep in mind, we don't even have the Porsche 917 30 in the game. They could put out over 1200HP in qualifying trim. I am trying to get the 917 30 ported from GTR2 just so we can watch it in awe. It wouldn't even be any fun to race against it.

That flipping you described is not an error. Its actually correct from a Physics standpoint. High horsepower/high downforce cars are known to do that if the Geometry of the car gets out of whack like it can do at the top of slide inclines case in point......

https://www.youtu...8XxQkXCmsU

https://www.youtu...FN_Gp1eHN0

wdboyd
Man, that would be terrifying.

Problem with the flipping in this simulation... was how to stop the AI from going over.

It seems arranging a gear shift right at or around the danger point mitgates the problem somewhat. At least I got my Porshe and Lola to just nose up only a couple feet.

braddw25
Did you try decreasing the front ride height? That is what they did in real life to keep the front diffuser closer to the ground where it could continue to develop the necessary downforce. Can Am cars don't have diffusers, But I'm guessing that a sudden change in angle of attack is causing the front end to generate lift. I would hypothesize that keeping the nose lower would prevent or at least reduce the lift effect. But then again I have been wrong before. LOL

wdboyd
No, I didn't get into the ride heights. I'll take a look.

UPDATE: Can't 'lower' the ride height of the Porsche, Ferrari or the Lola.

Can raise them but not lower. Angry

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif