sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Player's Lounge
 Print Thread
ATTENTION!
wdboyd
Salutations,

I have made a complete version of the Starshatter game available for download for those of you that want but do not have a copy.

It is the version 5.0.5 that I have on my computer. It can be found under the Official Files section of our Downloads page.

Keep Em Flying Commanders.

braddw25
Now, of all the files I uploaded, how in the world did I manage to forget that one???Sad

Thanks for uploading it, William!
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

Wylann
Just got a machine up and running again that I can run this on. I have an old version on CD. Do I need to uninstall that old version first, or will this overwrite the needed files?

It thinks it needs a different CD key. I know I can change the CD key in the serialreg.txt file, but there is something else missing. I can post the error message if it will help.
Thanks.

braddw25
I think I remember having a problem with a missing .dll file error message or something like that. If you can post the error message, that probably would help us track down the specific problem. Welcome to Starshattermods, buy the way.welcome
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Salutations,

An update or patch should overwrite any changed files. One shouldn't need a new CD key for an official patch.

I upgraded my CD version 5.0.1 game with my copy of the official 5.0.3 patch and did not need a new CD number.

There is a upgrade patch on our downloads page that should take you from version 5.0.1 and up. If it is not enough for you I have a copy of the 5.0.3 patch.

You may have to go to a an original load from your CD and upgrade from there in order, ie. 5.0.1 to 5.0.3 to 5.0.5 etc. That is if you have NOT downloaded the above mentioned Full 5.0.5 version of the game, in which case, the 5.0.5 version should be all you need without your game CD.

In short, if you download our Full 5.0.5 version you will NOT need anything else and should be good to go.

Wylann
If I try to load from the game menu, it asks for the CD-key.

if I just try to launch Starshatter.exe, I get the DLL error.

Keep in mind, I have version 1.0 of the CD (I go way back....). It has the issue with the wingmen crashing, so it's nearly impossible to get through some of the campaigns. Sad
Wylann attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

braddw25
Where did you install the game. Specifically what path on your HD is the exe located at? Not sure how you are accessing it through the game menu because AFAIK the download does not contain any way to get to the menu. I currently have the game installed in my downloads folder in a subfolder called Starshatter the Gathering Storm. If I click on Starshatter.exe, the game opens right up with no problems. I vaguely remember someone having problems when they installed to a certain location but I cannot remember the details. Try unzipping the file right in your downloads folder and running it from there for a start.

wdboyd
Wylann wrote:

Keep in mind, I have version 1.0 of the CD (I go way back....). It has the issue with the wingmen crashing, so it's nearly impossible to get through some of the campaigns. Sad

Firstly... update all video drivers on your computer to the most current.

Please clarify... is your CD version 5.0.1? Is that the version displayed when you load the game?

If it is you can upload it to 5.0.3 without a new CD # being required. I have a copy of it if you want me to send it to you. I may attempt to upload it for download.

Failing that... you can download a Complete Copy of the 5.0.5 version of my game on our downloads page. It is a large file though and will take some time to download.

Wylann
wdboyd wrote:

Wylann wrote:

Firstly... update all video drivers on your computer to the most current.

Please clarify... is your CD version 5.0.1? Is that the version displayed when you load the game?

If it is you can upload it to 5.0.3 without a new CD # being required. I have a copy of it if you want me to send it to you. I may attempt to upload it for download.

Failing that... you can download a Complete Copy of the 5.0.5 version of my game on our downloads page. It is a large file though and will take some time to download.

Did I mention this was old school? When I load up the CD is says it's version 1.0. What is the best way to verify the version number? Should I re-install from the CD to check it?

I purchased this several years ago (around 2004 -05 timeframe). I'm pretty sure that's right.

On the plus side. All my video drivers seem to be up to date.

Thanks for your help, BTW.

wdboyd
If you are having problems... I suggest you delete the entire game, including any saved games etc. and do clean re-install.

You may be able to download the 5.0.3 patch from our downloads page and upgrade your CD version with it. That would be the easiest.

Oh, you may have to load the game to your drive C: or it may claim that you haven't loaded it correctly. Frown

braddw25
Is this Starshatter:The Gathering Storm or the older version of Starshatter?

Wylann
braddw25 wrote:

Is this Starshatter:The Gathering Storm or the older version of Starshatter?

It is Starshatter:The Gathering Storm, V1.0. I wish the old automatic updater had been archived somewhere. It had patched several times early on. The big issue with v1.0 is that the wingmen often crash and blow up on landing. This has a significant effect on the long term campaign because of the dynamic nature of the campaign engine. The actual missions and everything work fine, but playing through the campaign is about hopeless.

I'll keep seeing if I can find a fix, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to trying something. I found the dll it needed, but now it just crashes. There are some different versions of the dll out there, so I might just have to use trial and error until I can find the right one.

braddw25
I truly wish I could offer more help, but I have tried on 3 different systems and I'm unable to replicate the problems you are having and therefore cannot offer a viable solution. On the three systems I've used, one an old laptop that I have at work, two my wife's laptop, and three my stepdaughter's laptop, when I download the game from here and unzip it, everything works fine. I have no idea why it is not working for you. Sorry. I will keep trying, but until I can replicate your problem I am going to be less than useless I am afraid.

Wylann
Thanks. It could be something with the registry. I know windows can be flaky about still thinking something is installed even when it is properly uninstalled (and not just deleted).

Are the systems you are trying it on Win XP or Win7?

braddw25
2 are Windows 7 and one is Windows 8.

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll