sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » Star Citizen Discussion » Star Citizen General Discussion
 Print Thread
Vanguard Variant Questions and Answers
wdboyd
Salutations Citizens,

You’ve got questions, we’ve got answers! Last week, we kicked off a concept sale for two new variants of the Vanguard deep space fighter. This week, we’ll be answering questions collected on the forums on Wednesday and Friday. These questions have been reviewed by designer Calix Reneau and will hopefully clear up anything you’re wondering about the ship.

Questions & Answers

Will the battlefield upgrade kits come with LTI like the Retaliator modules?

This is, by far, the most popular question! And so we’d like to begin with the standard disclaimer that LTI does not matter. It is a minor convenience to reward backers who supported a concept early (Star Citizen itself for the base ships and individual concepts later.) You should not base your plans on the LTI status.

With that said: like the Retaliator modules, the two new Vanguard Battlefield Upgrade Kits (BUKs) will include LTI. The Sentinel and Harbinger packages will include LTI, while the Warden will include two year insurance (because it was offered previously as part of the base ship; this prevents anyone from being able to game the system and create a new version of an already-existing LTI ship.)

When the Vanguard is Flight ready will we be able to swap from the variants and vice versa if we own the Battlefield Kits for Arena Commander?

The plan is for the BUKs to be available in Arena Commander and for you to be able to change them using the holotable, although we can’t guarantee that this will happen the day the Vanguard becomes flight ready. (It’s likely, for instance, that the base Vanguard might be hangar ready before the variants, in which case variant owners would get a loaner ship to fly.) The limiting reagent here is that there are some additional weapons and technologies (see next question) that are being developed for the variants independently of the ships themselves (the same is true of the UI/process for switching them via the holotable.)

Is the main nose gun on the variants the same or different than the Warden? People keep speculating the Harbinger has railguns, but I see no text that confirms that.

Yes! All three Vanguards will have different nose guns. The weapons for the Harbinger and the Sentinel are still in development with the component pipeline, so they may different somewhat in appearance from the versions used in the concept art. The central gun on the Warden is an APOC Death Ballistic Gatling gun, while the central guns on the Sentinel and Harbinger are a plasma gun and a mass driver rail gun, respectively. (Manufacturers have yet to be assigned.) The four secondary guns are also different. The standard model uses Behring M4A lasers, the Sentinel has two distortion cannons and two MaxOx electron guns and the Harbinger has four higher damage lasers.

If I have a Vanguard Warden and I buy a Sentinel BFUK , do I also need a Warden BFUK to go back to my initial setup?

No, you do not. The Vanguard Warden you have already purchased comes with the base equipment. There’s no need to buy a second upgrade kit (unless you want backup equipment.)

If I buy just one battlefield upgrade kit and equip it, would un-equipping it turn it back again?

Think of it more like plugging three different devices into a USB slot. If you remove one, and it is then added to your overall Hangar inventory and you can plug in another. It also seems important here to note that the upgrade kits are permanent items which will appear in your Hangar and not ‘single use’ tokens. (Another analogy: think of them as like having a set of snow tires for your car. You remove your existing tires and put on the snow tires and can then switch back and forth as the situation warrants.)

Will using one of these actually change the hard points of the ship? Turn it from a full fledged Warden into a full fledged Harbinger?

Yes, the kits give you the same statistics as the other ship, replacing parts where needed. (The most significant example of this is the Harbinger kit, which adds internal torpedo hardpoints by swapping the entire escape pod.) The only difference with the base ship will be the appearance: you’ll see the upgraded equipment, but stylistic changes that don’t impact specifications will not alter (ie, your ship won’t change color or overall shape.)

How many modular spaces are on the ship? Is it just the pod, or is there room for changes in the back?

It’s hard to quantify this exactly! Our ships are significantly more modular than we usually mention: weapons, internal parts, sensors, computers, software and even structural elements like wings can be changed in various situations. The escape pod is the most similar ‘modular’ concept to the Retaliator pods, but the upgrade kits include other changes (such as different nose guns, a different turret mount for the area just behind the cockpit, etc.)

How do the E-War capabilities of the Vanguard Sentinel compare to other ships which are supposed to have them, like the Herald?

The Sentinel is intended as something of a ‘trickster’ ship, oriented towards causing confusion on the battlefield. From EMP pulses to command and control interference, the Vanguard Sentinel will support battlefield operations by making it all that much harder for opponents to stay in contact and have proper information. The Herald, on the other hand, is built around a different goal: intercepting and relaying valuable transmissions and other data. Both ships have some ability to do the others’ role, but they will likely find success in different places!

Are there no small, pull-out seats anywhere in the escape module? Basically, will the 2nd crewman always have to sit in the turret when maneuvering?

There are no seats; the escape pod navigation is a standing station. No worries, though: the thrusters are quite weak!

Can the Sentinel perform commercial info running jobs?

As mentioned above, yes it can, although it will run into certain limitations that the Herald does not. These will primarily center around avionics space. The Herald has a large data core for holding the vast amounts of data it needs to collect, while the Sentinel does not. Pilots wanting to reorient a Sentinel for inforunning would be advised to make some upgrades to the overall data storage once they’re in the ‘Verse!
wdboyd attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
I can't wait to fire this baby up and take her into deep space. I am thinking that one of the most enjoyable aspects will be you and I flying two man missions in craft like this and your DUR in an effort to explore deep space. I'm very much looking forward to that part of the game.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Yes, such cooperative experiences should be very gratifying. That is if they get the back end working like they desire. Getting disconnects would be very annoying.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
Very true. As of this evening I am no longer able to get into the social module for some reason.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
I'll give it a try.

wdboyd
Bradd. I just got in with no problems. Did you get any Error Codes?

The attention to detail in the SM is amazing. Simply beautiful. CIG has some great computer artists.

Still, as I have always contended... beautiful graphics don't guarantee great game play or good internet connections. Therein lies most of my concern for SC. I remain hopeful though. What other choice to we have?

If it can be pulled off, Chris Roberts will do it.

I still think it looks unrealistic and silly for everyone to be jogging or sprinting everywhere.

braddw25
Just tried again and its working now. Not sure what the problem was, but I completely agree. The attention to detail is just completely off the charts.!bb!

braddw25
I wonder if all the other people that one sees walking around in the Sm are actually other players or are some of them computer generated NPCs? Just curious, because when I was on last night, I only saw one guy running. Everyone else was just walking.

Also, I wonder when they will give us the capability to change clothing on our characters for the SM. Quite some time ago I purchased a suit that looks like the captain's outfit from Firefly and I'm just dying to walk around wearing that getup. LOLtwothumbsup

wdboyd
I know of no way to make our Avatar walk. Do you?

If we can... I don't know how. I suspect they are NPCs if they are walking.

I really look forward to seeing you n that Captains outfit. Smile

braddw25
I can't see my own avatar, so I don't know if I'm walking or running.

I did see a whole bunch of other "people" walking last night, but I don't know if they were NPCs or other avatars. Most curious. I did see several that were running too when I signed on this morning while I was waiting for Missy to get ready for work.

Wasn't there something mentioned some time ago about having the opportunity to have our face scanned and transferred to the game so that our avatar actually looks like we do? I thought I read that somewhere, but now I can't find it.
Edited by braddw25 on 04-09-2015 12:14

Toshiro
I was in the social module. looked around a bit. I heard something about instances with only 25 players. So how do we connect into the same instance if we wanted to "meet" in the bar or something?? Everyone seems to jog. A bit behind looking at this. Would love to connect in there. Is keybinding still an issue? i can't get the proper actions on my gamepad. !salute!

wdboyd
Salutations,

Apparently, 25 players is the current maximum number that can be handled in a SM instance. This is planned to be increased.

There are currently two speeds of players... 1. A slow jog and 2. Sprinting. I think there should be a walk mode too.

I don't think we can join private instances of the Social Module via our Contacts List. We can't, at this time, select to enter the SM like we can Battle Royale, Capture The Core, Squadron Battle, Classic Race and the Vanduul Swarm Co-op.

At least I don't think we can. Bradd, have you seen anything on this?

Keybinding... not much of a factor in the SM yet. The [F12] key brings up the chat window. There are Seven player emotes one can display with many more coming. Really not much to do in the Social Module yet. Sure is pretty though, isn't it?
Our first set of fully animated emotes are now available for players to use in ArcCorp and the Hangar.

ADDENDUM: From RSI site.

Emotes can be used in the chat UI by typing “/” followed by the emote. Some emotes also have multiple variations, which you can use by adding a number at the end of the emote command.

Example: /cheer4

The full list of available emotes and their variations can be viewed in the chat interface, via the “?” button.

Augmented Reality is now available for players to test in ArcCorp. You can access this new functionality via the “F2” key.

In this initial release, Augmented Reality will allow you to see character name plates as well as information on shop items in ArcCorp.

Players can now chat in our first channel (designated Local at the moment).

The chat channels are phased by instance. Each individual Hangar, ArcCorp Instance and Arena Commander Instance have their own chat channel.

The Left Alt key + “G” allows you to orbit your camera, so you can view your character from multiple angles which is shared between the multiplayer ArcCorp and single player Hangar.

Toshiro
Awesome will have to check it out. Still getting my spaceboots wet. pgrin

wdboyd
WE all are. Have fun. bigsmile

Toshiro
Do you use TrackIR?

wdboyd
Not currently... I had one a few years ago when I was racing online in Rfactor.

I may get a new version for SC.

Toshiro
Christmas may be a good time. Hope for a sale. Haha
Have you and bradd played multiplayer yet? I only recently been trying out AC. Frown

wdboyd
No, I have forgone flying except for some craft test flights in Free Flight. I've been waiting for a lot of the kinks to be worked out of the craft, weapons and flight model.

Although... I recently purchased two Thrustmaster T-16000m joysticks, some special mounting brackets and a new (more stable) flight chair. See image below.

I will be starting flight practice in earnest real soon. I have to learn all the keybindings so they come second nature to me in the heat of racing or battle.

Bradd, has been flying multiplayer during Trip Rodrigues' Twitch stream.

He did real well Thursday night. I'll have to practice real hard or he'll never let me live down his outdoing of me. Smile

Don't mention that to Bradd. !wink!

Toshiro
Well I have been trying out flying. so far the only working mode for me is keyboard and mouse. I have been trying to get my gamepad working with little success. Controls are not stable. I am hesitant to purchace something new until i can figure this out. Really bugging me. I have a need to solve it atitude. So far I haven't seen a decent tutorial that is working for me.
In the SM I had another look around trying stuff. Somehow i opened contacts list. Not sure how i did that. But while I was there I added you and Bradd. pgrin

wdboyd
Below is a link to a basic keybinding tutorial.

There are Controller Default setting or bindings. Keyboard, joystick, controller. You can refer to it to see what does what by default.

The defaults are displayed in the Arena Commnaer Pilot's Guide version alpha 1.1a. If you don't have it... it is available for download here. default controller image below

From the 'default' settings you can adjust things within AC to your liking. Once you get a setup you like, you can and should export it for future use.

RSI Forum Post:
The xbox controller can be frustrating. If you bind it correctly it can do basic things (fly the ship, shoot, targeting, defensive countermeasures), but it does not have enough buttons to easily do a full range of actions that a ship might need to be done.

I think pairing it up with a keyboard might be the best option. Use the 360 controller to fly around or run around, then use keyboard to access ship menus, specialty actions, tertiary functions, etc, etc. Obviously not something you would want to use in the midst of battle, but passible if you are doing some other task.

Finally, if you decide to get to joystick a some point, Bradd and I recommend the Thrustmaster T-16000m. It is one of the best for the price.

https://youtu.be/... < - - - alink

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll