blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » Star Citizen Discussion » Star Citizen General Discussion
 Print Thread
100 GB!
wdboyd
There was never any question that Star Citizen was going to be a massive game, both in scope and in file size. But Jeremy Masker, the director of game operations at Cloud Imperium Games, has warned that it may be a whole lot more massive than people expect—especially folks who are stuck with data caps.

The unhappy word came in response to a Roberts Space Industries forum user who posted a message predicting that the final release of the game will be "significantly more compressed and optimized" than it currently is, resulting in an initial client size of 30-40GB. Patches will also be optimized, he added, and would thus run in the hundreds of megabytes each.

Not so, said Masker. "As I have already said, I would not count on this," he wrote. "The game compression and asset removal is unlikely to yield such high gains that we will be able to reduce our client size to 30-40GB. The size and number of assets that are left to deliver means that our client size is much more likely to be 100GB."

"Also, yes we are optimizing game patching for speed and to only deliver diffs, but this is unlikely to reduce actual patch size," he continued. "Again, each patch has 100s of assets, each of these assets are at times 200mb, this leads to 2-6gb patches, and if we end up doing a file type re-factor and have to re-download 30-40% of the assets on the hard-drive, then the patch will be 14-20gb."

That may not seem like much to those of you with super-fast connections and unlimited data, but it's a serious hindrance to anyone lacking either. There may not be much choice in the matter—big game, big files—but it may prove prohibitive for an awful lot of people who were looking forward to playing. Frown
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

Toshiro
Holy cow. I only have a modest 200 gb per month cap. Ouch. will take days to download.

wdboyd
Yea... not very good. Frown

braddw25
They really need to look at supplying some users who wish it so with disc media of some sort. I know that 100GB will fill up LOTS of DVD's, but a dual layer blueray can hold up to I believe 50GB. A two disc blueray set shouldn't be all that hard to put together and there are currently some pretty affordable blueray drives on the market for folks who don't have them.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
That's a good idea. idea

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif