blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » Star Citizen Discussion » Star Citizen General Discussion
 Print Thread
After action report
braddw25
Had a major blast today after getting home from work. Blowing up vandals is just as fun as blowing up Markans it turns out. LOL The funny part is that I just realized for the first time today that whenever I went into arena commander I was flying a regular civilian Hornet and not my super hornet. I selected the military version today and OH MY GOODNESS what difference. I thought I was dangerous before, but I can verify that the military Hornet is FAR FAR superior to the civilian version. Now I just have to get serious about really REALLY learning how to fly her. Case and point, I have not as of yet figured out how to launch missiles. So far I've been smoking Vanduls with guns only. Also, the new rig is performing brilliantly, and A stout machine definitely is an advantage to flying better. The graphics are so so much smoother now and as a result I am not experiencing the vertigo I sometimes get from playing game in first person perspective. Overall a very satisfying experience today.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Sounds like you are getting dangerous. Good Job

Check image below. It shows basic controls (targeting, locking and launching missiles) for your joystick.
wdboyd attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

braddw25
Thanks, but how in the world did you know I had that joystick?? I knew you were smart but I wasn't aware you were omniscient!!! LOL I must have mentioned at some point that I got one of those, but I do not remember ever bringing it up on here.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
I suggested it to you as a good cheap joystick. bigsmile

braddw25
Oh that's right. I do remember that now that you mention it. Thanks, for that, by the way. It was a great recommendation. It works great!

wdboyd
I wouldn't steer you wrong.

Not intentionally anyway. bigsmile

Keybinding Tutorial Video. Click Below
https://youtube.c...PsYyHOLgxM
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
I have become deadlier now that William showed me how to launch missiles. Many Vanduuls just lost their lives in the last 45 min. LOL I think I might have even bagged an ace. I never saw this before, but today while I was playing one of the Vanduuls instead of being listed as Vanduul scavenger was instead listed by a name. I assume that meant he was an ace or something special. He is now special space dust. I don't mean to brag, but you guys are going to be lucky to have me on your team. LOL just kidding, but I have gotten much better over the past two days sine getting my new rig. In all honesty, I did not enjoy flying much before because the way my old rig rendered things at time made me dizzy. Everything is silky smooth with this machine. Not sure what the difference is because I was getting decent frame rates with the old one, but everything just looks and feel MUCH better with this one.

A word to the wise on video cards. If you end up getting a high end NVidia like a GTX 970 for instance, the fan control software that comes with it just plain sucks. Mine did at least. I actually had the card shut itself down because it reached 55 degrees which is where I set it to shut off because I am anal to the point of neurosis about keeping high end components cool. The thing that bothered me is that the fan never sped up from what I could hear. So loaded up GPU-Z to monitor the fan speed and sure enough it did not turn up at all the next time I played. This game will generate some heat in the GPU so I wanted more fan speed. In my opinion too many computer buyers fuss too much about fan noise. I would personally rather put up with fan noise than cooking high end hardware. To that end I downloaded MSI afterburner which allows you to manually set the fan speed. I just turn it up to 100% when I want to play Arena commander and now my gpu stays below 40 degrees. I highly recommend this program as it allows for overclocking as well if you are into that.

wdboyd
Yes, the named Vanduul the more dangerous or aces. I think you will run into them every third wave. They get tougher the further you get in VS.

Your better experience is probably a combination of things. Faster RAM, SSD speed and graphics card. Probably more. In any case, I'm glad you are enjoying flying more now.

MSI Afterburner eh. I'll have to look into it.

Do you have to run MSI Afterburner in the background to gain the desired fan speed in AC?
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
MSI Afterburner eh. I'll have to look into it.

Do you have to run MSI Afterburner in the background to gain the desired fan speed in AC?

Yes, that is correct. I just minimize it and leave it running. It is not much of a resource hog at all and in my opinion provides much more effective fan control than the stock software does.

wdboyd
Thanks, I thought so. It sure has a nice graphic appeal. I plan to use it when running SC.

braddw25
You're welcome. I like it a lot too. As I said before, I would much rather listen to a little bit of fan noise than shorten the life of a 300+ dollar video card. I crank my fan all the way up to 100% before loading up SC and that keeps it nice and cool.

braddw25
Just thought I would follow up with another AAR from this morning's action. I think I mentioned previously that I bought an Alienware Alpha. I decided to see how well it would run arena commander this morning. I have to say that if anyone is looking for a cheap system that will run Star Citizen currently this little guy does the job quite admirably. Albeit on lower settings. I ran it today on 720p instead of full high def with medium textures and it did quite well. 45 fps on average and never went below 35. Bear in mind that I only paid $450 dollars for this thing, and it is somewhat upgradable. It has an i3 dual core, but can take an i7 Quad core cpu. It has 8GB of memory upgradable to 16. I bought it to replace my gaming laptop which had a core i7 but would not even run Star Citizen because of the video card. From what I have read, if I were to install and use the new Steam OS instead of windows 8 I would see a 15 to 20% performance increase just due to the lesser load of the OS compared to windows. In my opinion these things are a decent gateway to the world of Starshatter if one's budget does not allow a full high end gaming system to be purchased.

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll