blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » Star Citizen Discussion » Star Citizen General Discussion
 Print Thread
Info on CPUs and Star Citizen
braddw25
I have been doing a little research into an upcoming gaming rig build. My alienware has served me quite well, but it is now almost 5 years old and in spite of the fact that it will run The Hangar module and Arena Commander at more than acceptable frame rates, I am concerned that when the full game is released that it might struggle under that load. I also think that we may at some point want to have our own little Star Citizen Persistant universe for members only in case things should things get out of hand as they frequently do with online Massive Multiplayer games. To that end I am in the research phase of building a new rig to replace my beloved Aurora R1. I am convinced from what I have read about this game engine that it will indeed be able to take full advantage of multicore hyperthreaded cpu's. This is actually big news as there are not currently too many game engines that even come close to doing this. With that in mind, I have changed my previous stance on Intel's 6 core i7 5930K processor. This is a hyperthreaded core so the game engine will utilize it as a 12 core cpu. If that is the case and I believe it will be, then Star Citizen may well become the first game that takes anything even close to full advantage of the 6 core i7 and relatively new DDR4 memory that can be used with it. Before I would have said that both were a waste of money for a gaming rig, but that is all changed by the belief that the game engine will make good use of these resources. The fact that the game developers are currently using 6 core architecture just reinforces my belief. So as a start for my new rig I will be shelling out the extra bucks for a core i7 5930K and 16GB of DDR4 memory.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
I can't argue with your reasoning at all. bigsmile
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
I am considering this rig as a baseline for my build. At this point I am not confident that I can beat the price by enough to justify the effort of building my own system. I will have to poke around newegg and other places to see what I can do as far as sourcing parts, but to me, this looks like ALOT of computer for the price. Opinions most welcome...

http://www.tigerd...-102585390
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

braddw25
Ok, I just sourced out the parts to build a similar rig to the one I posted a link to. The price for the parts comes out to $1938, and that does not include an Operating system. Looks like the price to build my own will be just over $100 cheaper than the pre built system. The only wildcard is the quality of the components that CyberPower uses. I have read/heard both good and bad things about their build quality and customer service. The customer service does not concern me too much because I usually fix my own problems anyway. The component quality does concern me. Most of the negative stuff is about older systems that were built in the time frame of 2007-2008. Most of their newer stuff is getting pretty good reviews. I'm not sure which way I will go yet. I know if I build one myself then I will know exactly how good the part quality is. On the other hand, I do not enjoy the tinkering and tweaking that is usually required to get a home built system up and running nearly as much as I used to. Ah decision decisions.

wdboyd
braddw25 wrote:

I am considering this rig as a baseline for my build. At this point I am not confident that I can beat the price by enough to justify the effort of building my own system. I will have to poke around newegg and other places to see what I can do as far as sourcing parts, but to me, this looks like ALOT of computer for the price. Opinions most welcome...

http://www.tigerd...-102585390

Yes, this system looks pretty good. bigsmile

As advertised and if you are nervous about quality, you can get SquareTrade 3-Yr Computer Protection Plan @ $259.99 (not cheap)

braddw25
I placed my order this evening. A report on whether or not it was a good purchase will follow when it gets here.

wdboyd
Oh boy... Christmas in May. applaud

Please share you system details after you get it.

braddw25
Just received notification that the new machine will be delivered this afternoon!!!!

wdboyd
Bradd, stay calm... breathe deeply. Relax.

THIS AFTERNOON! OMG! I'M EXCITED FOR YOU! noddingyess

braddw25
I'm trying to stay calm, but I think someone slowed the clocks in this building to a near standstill. My new computer is probably home waiting for me.....Shock!blue!veryamazed

braddw25
The new rig or shall I say BEAST is up and running. So far I am VERY impressed with the build and parts quality of this machine. Also impressed with how easy it was to set up. It found my Microsoft account and basically set this thing up for me like it was my old computer. All settings, favorites, browsing history, everything was up and running the first time I booted it up. Of course starshatter and Star Citizen will have to be installed and I'm in the process of installing SC right now. Will report on how it runs on this thing when its ready. So far so good!!!

wdboyd
applaud

braddw25
HOLY FRIGGIN CRAP!!! I feel like I just got done playing a completely new game. First thing I need to report is that the game must somehow self adjust to maintain acceptable frame rates or something because I thought it looked REALLY good on my old system, but on this one it looks better than words can even describe. It literally does not look like a video game. It looks like you are watching a hi deft movie. I thought that I had everything maxxed out according the settings I selected on the old rig, but I'm telling you it looked nowhere near as good as it does now. Frames rates are nearly always in the 85 to 90 range with occasional jumps over 100. Even with many ships being rendered in swarm mode, I never saw it go below 65fps. Even with the better looking graphics, everything is noticeably smoother and much easier to pilot. It feels as smooth as Starshatter does now and I was having a major blast smoking vanduls in swarm mode with my hornet. This is all without overclocking which makes me very happy because I generally try to avoid that if possible is it shortens the life span of the components. Overall at this point I would HIGHLY recommend cyberpowerPC. I have no complaints and remain extremely impressed with everything about this rig including the price. More to come later.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention how fast the game loads on this SSD. We are talking maybe 4-6 seconds and you are there. I had a very fast SSd on the old rig, so the difference must be in the Sata2 vs Sata3 interface because this one is light years faster. Also, I was absolutely stunned by the motherboard that was included with this thing. It is an MSI gaming mobo and has 4, yes that is correct 4 PCI express slots for video cards allowing for much expansion if needed in the future. I can't even imagine how fast this thing would be with 3 more video cards in SLI. Could not be happier at this point.

wdboyd
Great. Looks like you will be all set for quite some time. Star Citizens, look out. Wink

Makes me want to save more quickly for my next rig. Keep us posted about your experiences with your new system.

braddw25
I will be sure to keep you updated. With that in mind, I just got done installing the blueray player and a 1 TB hard drive from my alienware. I am once again impressed at the setup and design of the case in my new PC. This is the first full tower I've owned and I am hooked. There is room for hands to get in there and work, and it is also easy to route the wires out of the way to prevent them from interfering with the airflow through the case which is also quite impressive. With all the high end hardware, everything stays nice and cool. Installing the BR drive and the auxiliary HD was a snap, and both are up and running now. I was a little leery of cyberpowerPC as I mentioned because of reviews that I had read. I have to conclude from what I've seen that either the reviewers are full of it, or the company has truly gotten its act together. The components used in this thing are not cheap knockoffs as I feared. They are name brand high quality parts that work quite well together and I highly recommend this company to anyone who is thinking of buying a new gaming rig.

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll