blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » Star Citizen Discussion » Star Citizen General Discussion
 Print Thread
Thoughts on SC
braddw25
I've been thinking some in anticipation of the PU getting released and as a result I've changed my mind about a few things. When I first saw the Idris M and then later the Javelin destroyer I initially thought that I just had to have one of those. After thinking a bit about it though, it occurred to me that those type of high profile (and admittedly powerful) ships are very likely to be targets for every nefarious organization in the persistent universe and in the event the one was able to obtain one, then all one would end up doing is fighting for one's life. Not necessarily a bad thing if you only like space combat, but there are many other aspects of this game that I would be interested in exploring. So to that end, I'm thinking that it might be a good strategy, especially for our little organization to maintain a low profile and hopefully fly under the radar for a while anyway. Any thoughts?????
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
I basically agree. Besides, crewing the larger craft could prove challenging on a consistent basis.

From the beginning, I decided to explore. Therefore I got a 315p. I intend to get a Freelancer DUR for the same reason. Ultimately adding an Aquila.

I got a Gladius fighter... simply because I like the look of it. Smile

Whisper... I might get a racer just for the fun of it.

There is simply not enough information to base organization activities on right now. Keeping a low profile will probably be wise early in the PU.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
Crewing a larger craft is indeed an issue unto itself. NPC may be a viable option for this, but as you said, there are still to many unknowns at this point. It is so very fun to speculate though.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
CIG is currently experiencing serious multiplayer server problems! Bradd, remember when I voiced my concerns about Star Citizen having potential problems in multiplayer due to the very high polygon count of its models? I always thought online play could be very problematic.

Still, I trust they will get the situation sorted out. twothumbsup

Besides it will not interfere with the upcoming single player Squadron 42.

braddw25
Yes, I do remember when you voiced those concerns. I must admit that I too have had sneaking suspicions that the hardware requirements for this game were going to be higher than initially reported. It would not be the first time something like this has happened. I'm sure the folks at RSI will get things straightened out on their end, but now I'm wondering if it might be necessary for folks like us to make significant upgrades to our gaming rigs. I upgraded my video card near the end of last year, and my rig will run any game currently on the market with ease at maximum setting. With the hangar module I'm getting around 70fps which is plenty fast enough, but I'm worried that with the release of the full game I might not be so fortunate. Only time will tell I suppose, but I'm starting to salt some coins away just in case I need a new rig when the full game is released.

wdboyd
I plan on putting together a new computer. I currently get between 45-50 fps with the games resolution set on High in the Hangar. About the same fps in Free Flight. My fps drops 10-12 points when I attempt going to the games Very High resolution. I desire to play Star Citizen set on its' maximum resolution. So... I have to put together a more capable computer.

But even the best and fastest CPU, memory and GPU cannot overcome online connection bottlenecks. With that in mind, I plan to pay to increase my available internet connection speed. Other than that, there is not much we can do to ensure Star Citizen will be capable of running smoothly, especially in multiplayer.

Ultimately, the internet or their net code capability lies in CIGs hands. If it can be done, they will accomplish it. Time will tell.

braddw25
Agreed, the online playability will ultimately determine whether this game lives up to its advanced billing which is as we all know quite considerable.

wdboyd
Bradd,

Based upon recent information I read on the RSI chat page... CIG programmers are re-writing their backend net coding due to current multiplayer server lag problems. Apparently, they are attempting to improve things to allow 25-30 players at once to be able to play together. That is not promising. 25-30 isn't all that many. My old multiplay concerns appear to be justified.

Still, they may improve things even further. I think they will need to double the 25-30 multiplayer number. Time will surely tell.

braddw25
Agreed, this at least appears at this point to not be very good news. I am trying to retain the perspective that this is all very early in the process and that there are bound to be bugs that need worked out. As you said though, it is a bit of a concern that they are aiming so low in the numbers department. Hopefully that goal is just a step on the way to something more robust.

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll