blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » Star Citizen Discussion » Star Citizen General Discussion
 Print Thread
Star Citizen a Dad and his Son
wdboyd
This is a great post I copied from the RSI Forums. Read and enjoy.

Tonight my eight (8) year old son and I finally got to try out Arena Commander's Co-op Vanduul Swarm Mode.

This is something we've been looking forward to ever since I bought our packages, and our 1st outing did not disappoint.

He flies the Aurora while I fly a Hornet. I was surprised at how he held his own in the heat of battle even though he was outgunned in his Aurora.

We loaded up AC, and after just a couple of attempts were able to successfully create our private match. I was happy to see that CIG lets you press X when ready. This gave us time to adjust our weapon firegroups and shielding placement. Very helpful!!! (I like sticking all my weapons on fire group 1!!)

After this, a quick press of the X and we were ready for battle!

As I said, my boy is 8. He loves to game and he REALLY gets into the spirit of things pretty quickly as the 1st wave of Vanduul jump in.

The way a Chris Roberts game is created, with the interface embedded within the game world really helps facilitate suspension of disbelief in adults let alone an 8 year old who's imagination is set to constant disbelief lol. So he's really getting into it! Calling out his target for me, and talking smack to the Vanduul. (C'mere you Vanduul lizard... chase me so my dad can give you a taste of his Hornet's sting!)

Being in the same room together really helped foster a battle of teamwork that was like nothing I've experienced in a space sim before. We were able to coordinate attacks with great success, and I think the fact that Arena Commander is such an amazing piece of work, even at this early stage that many things that SHOULD work from a tactics point of view actually DO work. Like my boy popping a Vanduul with a missile, dropping his shields just before I send a hail of hot lead and lasers into it. Great stuff!

This gives me great hope for the future of the persistent universe, where Organizations can coordinate entire wings in a battle.

One great moment stands out from the entire evening. It was during the 6th wave, and I was out of missiles, but my boy had a couple left. Priest was on our tail. We both knew the Aurora was no match for him, even if he does like to get close and personal.

So my boy hid behind an asteroid and waited for me to lead Priest by him. Being able to talk to one another was AWESOME and so much fun when setting this up!

So I send a couple shots into Priest to get his attention and make a line toward the asteroid my son was peaking out from. He calls out "I see you and have a missile lock on Priest!"

"Ok!" I reply, "Hold your fire until hes right up on you.'

I get closer and closer... a quick look from my rear camera shows he is glued on my 6 flinging hot bolts at me.

"Get ready!" I yell.

He counts down as we near the Asteroid..."Firing in 3....2...1... NOW"

He lets loose a missile, and then another as we pass.

The 1st missile wheels around and slams into Priest as I hit DECOUPLE, rotate 180 on my axis and open up with two Gatlings and 4 bulldog repeaters.

I hear the satisfying pings of my weapons impact upon his hull. His shields buckle, and his holo silhouette deepens to red as he takes damage.

My boy's second missile comes crashing in, and Priest gets torn apart as his ship fragments into a huge blue ball of glowing plasma and hot bits of slag.

My son lets out a huge WOOHOO! which brings my wife into the office. "What are you two boys doing in here?"

My 8yo wingman and I look at each other with super bengal carrier sized grins on our faces and he tells her, "Having FUN!"

THAT is what Star Citizen is all about for me. A great way to enjoy time with my boy as we learn along the way.

I cannot wait for the persistent universe, where friends, guildmates, my son and I can share this awesome living world together. Thanks Chris Roberts for coming up with this dream, and thanks to my fellow backers and the CIG team for helping create Chris' dream. Looking forward to "Having FUN" in the 'Verse.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
That is really cool.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll