blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » Star Citizen Discussion » Star Citizen General Discussion
 Print Thread
Pure gaming nirvanna!!!
braddw25
I am in a complete state of computer gaming nirvanna this evening. The new video card (Ati Radeon R9 280x) and joystick Logitech 3d pro extreme both arrived today. First I must say that I had forgotten the joy of flying with a high quality flight stick. The precision that can be achieved with pointing the nose of one's craft and by extension one's weapons is so far beyond what can be accomplished with a keyboard or even a gamepad. I actually fire up SS and made a mission with odds something like 26 vs 4 and with the new stick I was actually deadly enough to survive that mission and kill 16 enemy fighters in the process. Talk about FUN.

As for the video card all I can say is HOLY CRAP. I started up the hangar module and was getting a steady 95 fps on medium setting. Of course I then had to crank everything up to very high. I was still getting 70-75 fps. I then went into Arena Commander where I was still in the 65-70 fps range. Very impressive considering I have Overclocked the card yet. I will experiment tomorrow just to see how fast I can get it going in a stable config and report the max fps I can achieve. With the combo of the new card and the new joystick, it was like playing a completely different game. I even got brave enough to go into vandul swarm mode and bag me a couple vandals. Much fun was had this evening I assure you. I still have quite a lot to learn about the contols and their respective locations on the keyboard, but I am really enjoying flying with the new additions to my gaming rig!!!!bb!rock ontwothumbsup
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
I'm truly happy for you and your great experience. bigsmile
Yes, the Radeon R9 280 is supposed to be a great video card. I'm glad you like the 3D Pro Joystick. It is a good "cheap" joystick. A great thing about it... if your wear it out from use, it doesn't cost too much to replace.

95 FPS in the hangar.... envy, envy and more envy. I won't see that until I get the new GeForce GTX 980 or 970 GPU. Then we'll see what I can get. Having great FPS really helps gaming in every way. I haven't even bothered to leave Free Flight mode yet. Looks like you are well on your way to becoming a very proficient and confident pilot in SC.

Cyber life is good. noddingyess

braddw25
I do like the joystick a lot. Thank you for suggesting it. I have always had very good luck with Logitech products.

One thing to keep in mind for anyone else considering a video card upgrade. I was completely take aback when I opened the package and saw the size of the R9 280x. That sucker is BIG. I have an alienware dedicated gaming rig with a largish case and was worried that I would not have enough room. As it stands the card barely and we are talking millimeters here, barely clears my memory chips. Something to keep in mind for those with who may have mid tower or smaller cases. Some of today's video cards are not small. They are after all basically an entire computer in their own right grafted onto a card. You've got a processor, memory, and any needed cooling for them. The kind of power that they are delivering cannot effectively be compressed into too small a space without having heat problems. Speaking of which, I'm glad I modded my case last year and installed 120mm cooling fans just about everywhere I could stuff them. My cpu is liquid cooled, so I don't even worry about that, but this vid card is not. Thankfully my case is almost like a wind tunnel with the extra fans I put in and the gpu temps stayed quite low while I was trying it out last night.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
I think Logitech is going to be producing the official Star Citizen HOTAS system.

braddw25
That is good hear. I am sure it will be a quality product.

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll