sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » Star Citizen Discussion » Star Citizen General Discussion
 Print Thread
New Patch 13.0.2
wdboyd
Greetings Citizens,

CIG has issued a small Arena Commander patch today to improve control sensitivity for gamepad players. If you rock a ‘pad, get out there and let them know if the experience has been improved! they have also issued a server hotfix which should improve the “no match found” error that some have been experiencing. The patch is now available via your Star Citizen launcher.

A more significant patch, 13.1, is currently in the works. (And to pilots who are unable to access their M50s in the menu: they are aware of the issue and are working a fix.)

Bradd, it took me about 13 minutes to download and have the patch activated for Launch. Smile
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
I'll have to give that one a try tomorrow. Just got home from what amounted to a 14 hr work day between my regular schedule and working a 9 grade and a 7-8 grade football game this evening. I'm TIRED. LOL
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

braddw25
Well in spite of my tired state, I let my curiosity get the better of me. The new patch downloaded in about 8 mins and was working splendidly. I can definitely notice a difference in the way the gamepad works now. It's much easier to make more precise inputs and small course corrections now than it was before.

That is the good news. Unfortunately there is also some bad news. While I was trying out the new patch, my framerate suddenly dropped from around 65fps down to 5. Not good. I suspect a problem with my crossfired video cards as ATI crossfire is known to be quite finicky and tricky to set up. This would not be the first time I've had to tinker with it, but I fear I might have a bridge failure this time as I have never seen the frame rate drop off the face of the Earth like this. This might be the excuse I need to invest in a new card and not bother with crossfire anymore because I'm starting to think it's more trouble than it's worth.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
It's good they addressed some of the gamepad complaints.

That doesn't sound good about your FPS loss. But like you said... if it keeps acting up it's a good excuse to get a new card.

After the patch I had some graphical anomolies. The hangar doors were displaying weirdly bright. That was disconcerting but the most annoying was the mouse control. I lost almost all mouse input effectiveness on the Hangar Menu and especially in the Options menu. I wanted to reduce my graphic quality and couldn't get it done. The mouse simply would not work and was flashing in and out. The keyboard controls were working.

I eventually turned the computer off and then back on. The mouse then began working better but still in a clunky way. The hangar graphics were back to normal though. I trust they will get things like this straightened out. Others reported like mouse problems on the RSI forums. Weird.

Update... it seems my joystick was causing the problem. I disconnected the joystick and launched the game. The mouse worked fine.

Then I reconnected the joystick and relaunched the game. Now the mouse is working fine.

I'm so confused. Confused1
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
I'm confused too, because I took my rig for a quick spin in arena commander just now, and I'm somehow back up over 50fps. Not sure what is going on here, but I think we all just need to realize that this is a very early pre release of an extremely complex sim. Bugs are bound to occur. Having said that, I will be performing some diagnostics on my video cards this afternoon just to see exactly what is going on with them. I have long suspected that the crossfire link setup was not working as it should. Until now though, any games that I had didn't push my rig enough for me to notice the problems because they ran at well over 100fps even on one card. Now that I have a game that needs them both, I suspect it will be much more evident. Time will tell, but I'm still leaning toward purchasing a single newer card to replace both of these.

braddw25
Brought my rig to work with me to have some bench testing done on it. Weird stuff is going on with my crossfired cards. Using an older game (rfactor) as a benchmarking program, I am according to frapps getting 135-140 fps MOST of the time. However, it will periodically drop to under 30 fps. Here is the weird thing. When I disable crossfire mode, I get the same 135-140 fps and there is NO drop. It stays in that range for 99% of the time. We then fired up the hangar module. Started off with crossfire enabled got only 8-10 fps. Turned the graphics settings from very high down to low and NO CHANGE in fps. Disabled crossfire and the fps went up to 16-20 fps. Clearly my cards are not behaving well in crossfire mode. So we next took card 2 completely out of the rig and uninstalled the drivers. Now frame rates are over 20fps with just a single card and that is with the graphics turned up to very high. It appears as though crossfire is indeed the problem. Just placed an order for a new card that I will install by itself as I am done with crossfire. The new card is

Radeon R9 280x 3GB GDDR5 memory. We'll see what a difference this beast makes when it gets here next week. My only other concern is that I don't have a PCI express 3 motherboard. From what I have read though, with cards in the range of performance similar to the one I ordered, the difference at this point between PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 is minimal or non-existent. We shall see.

wdboyd
Yes, from what you described, there is a problem with using crossfire. I look forward to your test with a nifty new video card. Let us know all the details when you have them.

In reference to PCI express 3, why is it so hard to get a PCI express 3 motherboard? I suppose they just aren't that much in demand yet or the performance increase isn't worth it. I don't know.

braddw25
I don't know that it is that hard to get a PCIe 3.0 Mobo, it's just that I don't have one currently. If you go to newegg.com, there are plenty of them available there. I know the newer version of my Alienware Aurora come with PCIe 3.0. As you stated though, I don't believe it is a technology that has really matured yet as it appears as though even cards that are designed to work with that additional bandwidth can do just as well or almost so with the lesser bandwidth of PCIe 2.0. I suspect that the bandwidth available in 3.0 is just more than the current generation of vid cards really needs unless you go super high end. Eventually there will be cards that jam enough code down the PCIe bus to take full advantage of the new architecture.

wdboyd
Nvidia just came out with two new GPUs. The GTX980 and the GTX990. I currently have a GTX 770 with 2Gb memory that I paid almost $400 for.
The GTX 990 cost $549 currently and comes with 4Gb memory. twothumbsup
The GTX 980 is under $400. These seem to be great cards.

They are rated on par or better than their TITAN in performance and use less power and are quieter.

I think I'm in love. noddingyess

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll