icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » Star Citizen Discussion » Star Citizen General Discussion
 Print Thread
SC Patch 13
wdboyd
Star Citizen Patch 13 Notes.

https://robertssp...n-Patch-13 <----- alink
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
Outstanding. I might have to go buy something to race now!!bb!
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
I think you can race in a Hornet currently.

2 HRS. 52 MIN Total download and patch application time! Rather large file(s) eh? Still, that is a lot better than many others are reporting.

After the patch... it launched fine but took slightly longer than usual. I like the new game menu system. Initially observed a bit of lag while moving around my new AeroView hangar. I will see how things look when I reduce my graphic quality from the highest setting.
Followup. Screenshots taken in hangar at 2560x1080 on the LOW graphic setting. Still looks pretty good. 45-50 FPS. Oh yea! twothumbsup

I'm going to have to dive in and take the plunge in flying my M50 Racer and the 300i. Have to start learning the control techniques required.

My new AeroView hangar.
wdboyd attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

wdboyd
Well, I launched into the void via Free Flight mode in a 300i. I had little idea what buttons on my joystick did in the game but I winged it. Firstly, I found the "Approaching Simulation Boundry" warning very annoying and limiting. The size of the useable flying area seems very small. Again... very annoying. In the past I noticed others complaining about it on the RSI forums.

On the good side, my Logitech 3D Extreme Joystick seemed to work fine with its base configuration. Although, I didn't stay out too long... my monitor put itself to sleep after 15 minutes! I panicked for a moment, I thought my monitor had died or worse yet my GPU.
I had to laugh when I realized that it was my own monitor sleep settings that caused the apparent problem. oops

Another petty observation, I was disappointed in the weapons firing graphics. I'm accustomed to the hefty ones in Starshatter. I thought the SC ones were rather wimpy looking. But that's nit picking from a SC pilot that doesn't know what he is doing yet. I definitely have to put in a lot more practice.

On the good side... I was getting between 45-50 FPS in free flight. bigsmile

I suspect that may drop in the other arena modes. Maybe not. My GPU was working pretty loud and hard as it was. The next flight will be in my M50. It will be interesting to see if the different craft "feel" different. Bradd, Let me (us) know your impressions of things when you launch into the void with a Hornet.

Hey, Toshiro.... get out of your hangar and into some "Free Flight" practice with your Aurora. "Arena Pass" required.

M50 Craft Data

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
Thanks for the report. I will be checking things out this afternoon. I have not yet downloaded the new patch yet. Once I get things up and running I'll be sure to let you know.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

braddw25
It appears as though I may have to wait a while until I file my report. At first I thought I was having a connection problem here, but then I downloaded something from another site and it was downloading at well over 10MB/sec. So I'm thinking the SC servers must be pretty busy now because the patch is downloading quite slowly. It says it should be done it about 8 hrs.

wdboyd
Eight hours! Frown

That is torturous. Others on the RSI site report slow download times too. I was getting a average of 1.5 mps download speed. It still took almost three hours. I did my laundry, vacuumed the bedroom, took my dogs for a long walk and fixed my dinner and still was still waiting. Life is good.

You are probably correct about the server loads on the weekend of a new large patch.
RSI has issued patch for the patch. CompGreet

braddw25
Still Downloading.Confused1waahanquish

wdboyd
typeconsole asad

braddw25
Well, after an overnight download, I was finally able to load up my new hangar this morning!!. I love the looks of the areoview hangar. A couple problems though. First, I can no longer seem to find my flight helmet. IT was right in front of the starting position in the hangar before, but now I do not know where it is. I am unable to board my hornet from the hangar. I walked all around it several times, but no use option ever appeared. I can board the COnnie and one of the Aurora's. In the aurora I get the option to go into arena commander, but I do not know how to navigate the menu. It asks me which ship I want to use and there are choices for the Hornet and Aurora, but I have no idea how to click on them because moving my mouse just changes which direction my character is looking. There is no mouse pointer to click on which Ship I want to fly. So I was completely unable to launch from my hangar. I hit escape and then chose Arena Commander and was able to fly the hornet through that interface. My impressions of the flight mode are much the same as William's. There is not currently enough space available to really have a meaningful flight experience. The controls are very complicated and will produce a very steep learning curve I believe. The graphics are absolutely out of this world gorgeous. I was surprised to be getting 60-70 fps with everything maxed out. Looks like I finally found a game that knows how to make use of my crossfire dual video card setup. Even though they are older cards, they must be pretty powerful together. The load times do seem a bit longer. It's somewhat hard for me to tell because I'm loading from a solid state drive which is really fast, but I do believe that it took somewhat longer than before.

wdboyd
My helmet is displaying normally.

I have no idea why you can't enter your Hornet from the hanger. Maybe it has something to do with you not having access to the helmet,

The Arena Commander menu can be used with the keyboard arrow keys and the [enter] key.

Helmet Location. Default Keyboard and Joystick layouts.

braddw25
WOW. I must be friggin blind or something. LOL. Sure enough my helmet is right there in the same place yours is. I bet I walked right by it at least 6 times this morning. If it had been a snake it would have bitten me. Thanks for the info.

wdboyd
Hot off the presses! I just uploaded the updated Star Citizen Pilots Guide to the downloads page. It contains a lot of information that is good to know. bigsmile

braddw25
Success at last. It turns out that the problems I was having getting into my hornet had nothing to do with whether or not I was wearing my helmet. In fact I was just not "looking" in the right direction. I was just facing directly at the side of the cockpit. Turns out that you have to look up and then you do get the use option. I also was able to enter Arena Commander directly from the cockpit this time. I used an Xbox gamepad this time to fly and I have to say that my flight experience was MUCH better than with the keyboard. THe only problem is that the inputs on the gamepad are very sensitive to any movement and it's either all the way or not at all. I believe that I will need to invest in a high quality flight stick in order to be able to gently nudge the craft around instead of being hard over every time I want to turn. OTher than that I'm getting pretty used to the flight model now and feeling a lot better about my ability to fly in this game when the time comes. I'm sure the pilots guide will be a big help as well and I'm going to d/l it right now. One other point that I think is cool about the latest patch. I can actually understand the voice speaking over the PA system in my hangar now. I never could before. SOme of the numbers they call out for ships are kind of funny. One of them had WTF in it and I forget what the other one was, but pretty funny.

wdboyd
Life is good. noddingyess

braddw25
Quick question for William or anyone else who happens along and wants to answer... What are some top end flight joysticks on the market today?? I have not purchased a high quality unit since the Wing Commander days back in the 90s. In fact I still have one that I liked very much, but the only problem is that it has the old game port plug which has been replaced by USB. As I recall, one of the pots in it was going bad anyway, and regardless it is time for any upgrade. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

wdboyd
One of the best cheap flightsticks... (the one I am currently using) a Logitech 3D Pro.

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight X-55 HOTAS My current preference. !wink!

I think the Warthog HOTAS is the most expensive. Maybe the best.

braddw25
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check them out!!

wdboyd
Here's another suggestion. I've read a lot of good reviews about this joystick.

Thrustmaster T.1600M and Logitech 3D Pro as seen in Pilot's Manual.

braddw25
Ah yes. Good old Logitech. Reasonably priced and I have ALWAYS had very good luck with any of their products. Thanks for posting. Heading to newegg.com right now!!!

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-s.png Member Poll