blank.gif
sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
Elite Dangerous
braddw25
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the game Elite Dangerous? I am in the mood to start another space combat sim. In my opinion, there has never been one released that has come close to doing what Starshatter does. Best case scenario from my perspective would be for a new Starshatter release that is similar to the old game engine with updated graphics and possibly more and newer features. The ability to mod the game is also a big plus as that is something that I genuinely enjoy doing. The satisfaction I derive from seeing one of my creations flying through space in a sim is hard to describe. I am not personally aware of anything that has been released that checks all those boxes. I had high hopes that Star Citizen would be that sim. It might still end up that way, but I am starting to wonder if I will have any reflexes left when that happens. Regardless, I am tired of waiting. I want to look into Elite Dangerous to see if it might work for what i want to do. So to start I thought I would pose some questions here. Does ED allow for command of large warships or is it mainly a starfighter/small craft sim? Is it reasonably easy to mod and is there an active modding community out there? Is anyone else here interested in taking a look see to investigate whether ED could serve as a platform for us to play and mod together? I just have the itch again and with summer vacation imminent I thought this might be a good time to start doing something here.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Elite Dangerous.

https://www.elite...erous.com/

As far as I know, ED does not provide modding capability. I don't think one can pilot a Capital ship. Although there are a lot of craft available as one progresses.

It is a graphically beautiful game that support VR well.

The game is continuously being added to and improved. They are adding ground movement and activity with the latest update on the 19th. of this month.

I think One can explore the universe in single player or with others. It is worth looking into except for the lack of modding.

That's all I can think of offhand. bluthumb
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
Thanks for the info, William. I am going to dig around a bit and see what else I can find out. I have seen videos posted on facebook about the game, but that is about all the experience I have had with it.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

braddw25
I did find an interesting tidbit about a carrier cap ship that a player can own. I don't know if that means the player can control the carrier and it's flight ops or not, but I will do some more checking into that aspect. Most of the ships that I have seen on the web site are corvette sized or smaller. At least it does appear that one can own and fly something larger than a fighter or similar sized craft.

https://www.elite...p/carriers

braddw25
It also appears as though there is some modding of the game going on. Not sure how easy or difficult it is to get modded content in game though.

https://elite-dan...ry:Modding

giogi
hi braddw25 elite dangerous is an online game meaning that you must have an online conection all the time, the game is split in 2 a singleplayer online mode and a multiplayer online mod (same thing that the singleplayer only with people sharing a same galaxy).

and is not very mod friendly since the game talks to the main client on the servers of the game data must be equal on both sides.

i personally dont play that game i instead play no man sky that imo is a 100000000000000000000000 times better and from time to time i play frontier elite.

https://www.facebook.com/kike.perez.18
braddw25
Thank you for that information. I will be sure to check out no man sky.

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll