sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
My New Gaming Rig
wdboyd
Salutations,

I've been scraping and saving for a new gaming computer. I've decided to build my own. Below is the current plans I have. It may be a month or two before I can complete it but it is in the works.

•AMD Zambezi FX Series 8150 8 Cores @ 3.6 GHz ---- EIGHT CORES! Shock
•Liquid Cooled
•8 GB DDR3 Ram

MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - 2048MB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, DL-DVI-I, DL-DVI-D, HDMI, Display-Port, NVIDIA SLI, DirectX11, Overclocked (Model# N650ti-2GD5/OC BE)

Will eventually add anther such card or move to the TITAN 4GB card.

•1019 MHz Core Clock
•PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Interface
•1097 MHz Boost Clock
•6008 Mhz Effective Memory Clock
•2GB of GDDR5
•192-bit Memory Interface
•1344 CUDA Processing Cores
•DirectX 11/OpenGL 4.2
•400MHz Ramdac
•SLI Ready
•3D Vision Game Ready
•1 x HDMI
•1 x Display Port
•2 x DVI
•Cooler with Fan
•Dual Link-DVI Supported
•2 x 6 pin power connectors

•ASRock 990FX Extreme3
•Western Digital 500GB Caviar Blue Edition

SSD ? Maybe. I may add one of these if not too expensive.

•5 x Sata III 6.0Gb/s connectors
•3 x USB 3.0 Headers
•Front Panel Audio/USB
•AMD 990FX Northbridge/AMD SB950 Southbridge
•4 x DDR DIMM slots (64GB Max. System Memory)

•7.1 CH HD Audio Realtek Audio w/ Blu Ray Support
•PCIE x1 Gigabit Lan 10/100/1000 Mb/s
•Viotek 700W Power Supply

•DVD/RW Player/Burner
•Camera Card Bay supports up to 76 different cards

•CPU Temperature Sensing
•Chassis Temperature Sensing
•CPU/Chassis/PowerFan Tachometer
•ASRock XFast LAN, USB, RAM, Instant Boot, Instant Flash

•Ports:
1 x PS/2 Mouse
1 x PS/2 Keyboard
1 x Coaxial SPDIF Out1 x Optical SPDIF Out
6 x USB 2.0
2 x USB 3.0
1 x eSATA3 Connector
1 x RJ-45 LAN
1 x HD Audio ports

• Windows 7

I plan to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM as soon as possible. Then up to 32 GB. The MOBO can handle 64GB.

This should hold me and allow for upgrades for quite some time. Smile
Edited by wdboyd on 12-09-2013 14:03
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

braddw25
Looks like a fantastic rig, William. You will be ready to handle anything Star Citizen can throw at you.

Just a suggestion for you. From all that I have read, with modern video cards, SLI and crossfire are becoming at thing of the past. It is now far better to spend money on a single higher end card than to crossfire or SLI two mid range cards. I can attest to this because I have dual video cards currently in linked via a crossfire bridge. The system works well enough, but when one wants to tweak things like clock speed, memory settings and such it can be a royal pain getting the two cards to work together properly and it's also harder to circulate cooling air over two cars than it is with one. For these reason, my next upgrade will be to very soon replace my dual cards with a single higher end one.

Also, I see that you are going with liquid cooling. I assure you, you will not regret this decision. Cooling is more of an issue now than it ever was before with all the super fast high end components you are stuffing in there. Liquid cooling your cpu will enable you to not even have to give it a second thought as to whether its cool enough or not. In my opinion liquid cooling might be the best improvement to come out for computers in the last decade. I have pushed my comp as hard as it can be pushed with multiple graphics hogging apps open and I've never seen CPU temps above 49 degrees. Since I modded my radiator it's been even better. What I did was to add an additional cooling fan to the rad so that one fan pulls air out of the radiator while the fan on the other side pushes it into the radiator. I was shocked at how well this simple mod actually worked.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. GOod luck with the new rig. I'm sure it will be awesome when finished!score10
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

Toshiro
Wow, those ramen noodles must be tasty. A sacrifice I'm sure. Maybe you can get Zolon tech too.
I am envious. All you need now is Bradd's 55" screen.
Toshiro

wdboyd
Hi,

Bradd, I agree with you about the graphic card situation... but for lack of funds I will have to go with what I have chosen. Although, like I mentioned, I will probably go to a TITAN 4GB card when I can. Hopefully they will come down in price a bit in the next 3-6 months. This is probably being very optimistic though.

wdboyd
Toshiro wrote:

Wow, those ramen noodles must be tasty. A sacrifice I'm sure. Maybe you can get Zolon tech too.
I am envious. All you need now is Bradd's 55" screen.
Toshiro

I have lost 5 pounds. Frown

I plan on upgrading to a larger and better monitor... but no 55" screen.

I could use my 42" TV screen though. Wink

braddw25
Actually, William, that vid card looks like a pretty good one to me. I wasn't trying to say that the card was not good. I just meant that when you decide to upgrade it's better to go with one higher end card than trying to bridge another one to your existing card. Of course, as you point out that is contingent upon having the funds available to purchase such a card. Unfortunately high end graphics cards are not cheap these days. I've been saving up as well to get a better one. Not sure exactly which one I want to go with yet.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll