sideb-left.pngsideb-right.png
icon-c.png View Thread
blank.gif
starshattermods » The Space Station (General Discussion) » Station Lounge
 Print Thread
Sketchup 3d warehouse
braddw25
William,

Just curious. Have you ever tried to download and use a model from Sketchup 3d warehouse? They have a HUGE number of nice looking models of ships that I think would be good to include in our mod. The problem is, there is either something badly broken in the export function of Sketchup or I am doing something wrong. Whenever I export a model, I can not get it to show up in any other 3d modelling program including magic. SO frustrating to say the least. Just wondering if you ever had any similar experiences with Sketchup models.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
Yes, Sketchup presents some fine models but if I remember rightly, converting them was a problem.

braddw25
It appears as though during the conversion process Sketchup add Random components to the model that do not even appear to be visible. These added components add so many polygons to the model that it will not open in Milkshape or in magic. Disappointing to say the least as this could have been a source of many good models for us to use.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you, and be sure of this, I will be with you always even unto the end of the age. Mathew 28:20

wdboyd
braddw25 wrote:

Disappointing to say the least as this could have been a source of many good models for us to use.

Agreed. Frown
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

wdboyd
This is the Achilles. An Attack craft.

If I remember correctly, it was a sketch model. I had to do some deletions from the original but I got it into the game.

It is a new Rebel attack craft.
--------------------------------
wdboyd attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

braddw25
Very nice. I am trying to do the same with two models I downloaded from Sketchup. One is a Resurgent class Star Destroyer and the other is the Ghost which was the ship in the Rebels animated series. The Ghost also made Cameos in the move Rogue One and in The final movie of the sequel trilogy.

braddw25
I have been fighting with the two 3d models for most of the day. At this point I am giving up on the Sketchup models. The conversion process that sketchup uses is either broken or hopelessly inefficient from a model quality standpoint. The model of the ghost in particular does not appear to be super high quality by any means, and yet when I load it in the 3d object viewer/converter it shows as having 128,000 polygons. The exporting process creates a model that is so complex that Magic, Milkshape, and Blender are all unable to render it. Absolutely ridiculous. Having said all that, I am now going to attempt to make my own model of the ghost. If you have never watched the animated series Rebels, here is what the ghost looks like in 2d drawing format.
braddw25 attached the following file:

wdboyd
Wow, that image 'looks' great.

How many polygons is it supposed to have? What class of craft. Corvette?

braddw25
According to Sketchup, the model only had 28K polys before I converted it to obj. I was planning on splitting it in half and having 2 parts roughly 14K. After the export it added a whole bunch of polys to the interior of the model for some reason. So many that I can't even open it in any program that would be able to delete the added but useless polys. I can open and view it in 3d object converted, but all that program does is covert. It does not have any functionality for adding or removing parts of the model.

The craft itself is similar to but larger than the Milennium falcon. Its a heavily modified and armed freighter.

wdboyd
I just got this craft into magic and saved as a .mag file.

I have done nothing with it as far as deffing yet. I will have to get the turrets on it off and place them back on as functional turrets.

Magic reports the model has 2861 Verts and 745 polygons. Very good texture though.

The Outrider
----------------------------------------

braddw25
Nice looking craft. I got a good start on the Ghost model. I need a break though. I probably won't get too much done this weekend. We are going back to Maryland to stay on an Island near the mouth of the Potomac and then pick up Stepdaugher and her boyfriend (fiancee actually as of this week) at the airport.

wdboyd
Breaks are good. They clear our the cobwebs. At my age, I need frequent such clearings out. This is just for fun.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Wink

wdboyd
Another ship for my consideration.

I see it as the new Top Of The Line Rebel Carrier. It Looks great but comes in at just over 27,000 polygons. I will have to do some trimming.

I'm not sure if I'll get it. But it sure is tempting. Would be fun to def.

braddw25
That is one cool looking ship.

I vaguely recall that it is possible to slip a model into two smaller parts and get it in game that way. IS that actually true or am I remembering wrong? If that is true you could potentially slit that model into two roughly 13.5K polys and get it in game without having to lose details. The way I recall is that you may have had to do that with some of those more complex models in your Star Wars HD mods.

wdboyd
Yes, separate .mag files can be used for the same ship presentation in the game.

My cockpits and bridges for the various craft are separate .mag files included in the ships .def.

braddw25
All done. I'm still working on building a model for the Ghost. Having a little trouble getting it to look the way I want with the angles of some of the hull panels and with Texturing. Work continues, but I may take a break from that and give some of those missions a quick try.noddingyess

wdboyd
In reference to the missions. A few are still a work in progress. Some voice files are currently missing.

The Assault Frigate II was a total mess .def wise. I spent almost five hours working on it yesterday to make if function properly. So don't expect much from the version you have now.

I will be putting in some more def time on it today by placing weapon coordinates where needed. I will upload the new improved version when I get it completed to my satisfaction.

In short, some missions may not be in their final working incarnation. Frown

Fear not though, I'll smooth things out in due time.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son Of God.

wdboyd
Latest craft addition. The Speeder Hover Craft.

I've added a Heavy Hover Tank for the First Order so I thought I'd include a Rebel Speeder to contend with it.

I came in with 970 polygons. Really low, but it has a good texture.

-------------------------------------

braddw25
Wow, that looks fantastic for only 970 polys.

Speaking of tanks and speeders, I just remembered that there are ground units included in the Empire at War game as well. I will have to take a look at them and see if any of them would work well in our mod.

wdboyd
Ok.. post pictures of the good ones within our poly limitations.

In what mode are the games model presented. .obj , 3ds etc. or do they have their own .mag type. How hard are they to convert?

Jump to Forum:
blank.gif
icon-s.png Login
blank.gif
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
blank.gif
icon-s.png Member Poll